Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Grandma Sabin Lesson Number Two

I mentioned, in a previous posting, a lesson I learned about decision-making from Grandma Sabin. I would like to tell you about another lesson I learned from her. That is, the value of getting an education. In fact, I can partly attribute my education to Grandma Sabin.

Grandma Sabin always stressed the value of receiving an education. Higher education that is. It was something she never received. Maybe this is why she stressed it so much. She did attend BYU, when her kids were older, majoring in premed, but as far as I'm aware she never received a degree.

Maybe this is where I developed my love for medicine. I don't know. For as long as I can remember I had wanted to become a doctor. And I did eventually reach that goal. Grandma always encouraged me to pursue my education.

Education is never wasted. I hear people say that since they don’t use the education they received, it was a waste. I say, knowledge is never a waste. Just because you don’t use your knowledge on a daily basis in your career, you nonetheless received that knowledge, and carry it with you always. It is surprising to me how much I still remember from my education. And even the knowledge that I don’t remember is still in my brain somewhere. So I don’t feel that receiving an education is ever wasteful. In fact, I would go so far as to say, it’s probably the best investment you can make.

Your knowledge, is the only thing you can take with you when you die. Like my buddy Mark Chesnutt says, “they don’t make a hearse with a luggage rack”.

After I graduated from Utah State University, I faced a decision on what to do next with my life. I wasn’t sure I wanted to pursue further education. I rationalized that medical school was another four years plus residency, and I would be an old lady by the time I finished. Grandma told me, "That is true but, you are going to be old eventually anyway, whether you receive a medical degree or not." (that’s not a direct quote but that’s what I got out of the conversation.) So, after weighing the pros and cons, I decided to pursue a medical degree. Even though it was very difficult at times, I am very grateful that I did. Even though, because of present circumstances, I am not able to use my knowledge in a career. I am thankful for my knowledge.  Attaining knowledge is never a waste. Knowledge is power.

Doctrine and Covenants 130:18-19

18 Whatever principle of intelligence we attain unto in this life, it will rise with us in the resurrection.

19 And if a person gains more knowledge and intelligence in this life through his diligence and obedience than another, he will have so much the advantage in the world to come.

I would like to follow in Grandma Sabin’s footsteps and encourage the pursuit of education. It won’t be easy, there will probably be much sacrifice required, but it will be worth it.

That’s my two cents.

1 comment:

  1. I agree that an education is never a waste. I remember Grandma Sabin always talking about education also. I like to learn. I don't particularly care for the high costs of textbooks and tuition these days however. It is a huge sacrifice to make, but just like serving a mission it is something a person will never regret.

    ReplyDelete