Monday, October 4, 2010

Humility

Yesterday in between sessions of conference I listened to President Uchtdorf's priesthood session talk from the previous night. Yes, I discovered that you can listen to all of the conference talks including priesthood session on LDS.org. They don't have the text up yet though.

Anyway, President Uchtdorf is my favorite speaker so I selected his talk to listen to while I had a few minutes before the next session started. It was such a wonderful talk. I would like to relate one of the quotes from his talk. I will probably butcher it, but it goes something like this:

You do not become humble by thinking less of yourself. You become humble by thinking less about yourself.

My interpretation of that means that you don't need to lower your self-esteem to be humble. But to be humble you need to be less selfish, vain, and of course prideful. Prideful meaning you don't think you're better than other people. For whatever myriad of reasons you conjure up.

I think humility is something I struggle with, and need to work on. Perhaps this is why this quote stuck out to me.

You can come to your own conclusions about Pres. Uchtdorf's talk on pride from the priesthood session of Gen. conference by clicking here: October 2010 General Conference then scroll down to priesthood session and click on the link next to Pres. Uchtdorf's name.

That's my two cents.

1 comment:

  1. That sounds like another excellent talk. I can't wait to get the hard copy of the Ensign so I can read over all of the talks again.
    President Uchtdorf is one of my favorites as well.

    ReplyDelete