Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Kudos Kirk Cameron

I read something refreshing the other day. A famous actor in Hollywood actually has morals, and defends them. Kirk Cameron, of "Growing Pains" fame was being interviewed by Piers Morgan and said the following:

Kirk Cameron on Gay Marriage

Kirk's original quote:

"I think that it's ... unnatural. I think that it's detrimental, and ultimately destructive to so many of the foundations of civilization."

Apparently there was a backlash to his remarks from a bunch of Hollywood people, who are blinded by the craftiness of men, including his old cast mates from growing pains, Alan Thicke and Tracey Gold. Who spoke out against Kirk.

Kirk's response after the firestorm:
"During the CNN interview, I was asked to express my views about homosexuality, gay marriage, and abortion. While that was not the agreed-upon purpose of the interview, I was pleased to answer Piers' questions as honestly as I could.
"To some, my responses were not sufficiently 'loving' toward the gay community. I can only say that it is my life's mission to love all people, and I expressed the same views clearly and emphatically expressed throughout Judeo-Christian scriptures."
"As a Bible believing Christian, I could not have answered any other way."
"I've been encouraged by the support of many friends (including gay friends, incidentally) in the wake of condemnation by some political advocacy groups."
"In the case of one of my gay friends, we regularly talk and have healthy and respectful debate. We learn from each other, and serve others alongside one another."
"I thank God for all of my friends... even when they hold very different views on issues of faith and morality. I do not, however, believe that the right way to advance our views is to resort to name-calling and personal attacks, as some have done to me."
"I also believe that freedom of speech and freedom of religion go hand-in-hand in America. I should be able to express moral views on social issues - especially those that have been the underpinning of Western civilization for 2,000 years - without being slandered, accused of hate speech, and told from those who preach 'tolerance' that I need to either bend my beliefs to their moral standards or be silent when I'm in the public square."
"I hope more than a few people could see the large volume of secularist morality being imposed on me. In any society that is governed by the rule of law, some form of morality is always imposed. It's inescapable."
"But it is also a complicated subject, and that is why I believe we need to learn how to debate these things with greater love and respect."

Well said Kirk! I was happy to read that there are still people who are willing to stand up for what they believe in, regardless of the consequences. Even though we don't belong to the same religion, I'm happy to call Kirk Cameron a brother in Christianity.

Along the same lines but on the opposite end of the spectrum, here's what I read in the Deseret news today.

From the Deseret News:
Hollywood elite target Prop. 8 with new gay-friendly play
By Jamshid Ghazi Askar, Deseret News
Published: Monday, March 5, 2012

If any doubt remained about just how fully Hollywood's elite supports same-sex marriage, all uncertainty about the issue evaporated Saturday at the Wilshire Ebell Theatre in Los Angeles.

Brad Pitt, George Clooney, Martin Sheen, Jamie Lee Curtis and Kevin Bacon were among the Hollywood A-listers who participated Saturday in a one-night-only reading of "8," the new play by Oscar-winning screenwriter Dustin Lance Black ("Milk") that glorifies the ongoing legal fight to invalidate the Proposition 8 voter initiative that California voters passed in 2008.

"With George Clooney and Brad Pitt leading the charge, the gay-marriage play '8' had its L.A. debut Saturday in a splashy event that was part activist theater, part Hollywood in-party," the Los Angeles Times' Culture Monster blog reported. "The sky-high celebrity factor no doubt … made '8' feel something like 'Ocean's Eight.'"

I personally don't know why people idolize Hollywood actors. To me, they are just a bunch of lost souls who are blinded by the craftiness of men. I would even go so far as to say that many of them are Satan's helpers.

This play, "8", is just another example of Satan's influence on people through the media. Most movies, television shows, even news media including newspapers, push Satan's agenda. It's no wonder people are so blinded to the truth.

All I can say is, I'm so thankful that I have the Gospel of Jesus Christ to guide me in my life.

It's nice to hear, once in a while, stories about people like Kirk Cameron, who have morals and defend what is right. Kudos to you Kirk Cameron!

That's my two cents.

1 comment: