Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Go Vote!

 

I was so excited to get our ballots in the mail on Saturday. I heard earlier in the week that they were being mailed out and was anticipating receiving them. For two or three days before the ballots arrived I would ask if they came in the mail that day.

I have voted in every election that I was able to. No matter where I lived, I made sure that I registered to vote and went out of my way to find the polling places before or after school/work. I have always felt that voting is a great privilege and responsibility. Even in the seemingly unimportant primary elections. I’ve always liked voting in the primary elections because not very many people vote and I feel like my vote counts for a lot of people.

It is a bit of work to study up on the candidates and issues but as a citizen I feel it is our responsibility and privilege to do so. It is our opportunity to let our voice be heard and defend our liberties and morals and our society.

This election is probably the most important that I have voted in. Of course, this year marks the presidential election which is always important. Especially with the current administration that has done such a horrible job in office. I don’t think anyone can say they are better off now than they were four years ago. In fact, we are much worse off. I won’t go into the details but suffice it to say, we need new leadership. Our future is in our hands. We have a voice.

Not only do we get to elect a new president this election but, in my state, there are several initiatives on the ballot that are very important. One of course, is referendum 74. The state government, without a vote of the people, passed a law allowing same-sex marriage. It’s not right. We live in a democracy where the people should decide. So, petitions were passed and signed and it’s now on the ballot. Please reject referendum 74.

Another important issue on this ballot is the legalization of marijuana. I personally, still cannot fathom that these two issues are even on the ballot. They are both no-brainers. The sad thing is, that all the money is backing the wrong side on both issues. So, all of the television commercials are backing same-sex marriage and legalizing marijuana. Their arguments are ridiculous. But, I’m afraid that a lot of people will be swayed by only hearing one side.

This is why it’s so important to vote. Our lives will be tremendously affected by the outcomes of this election.

I’m happy to say that I voted yesterday.  If your state allows early voting, get your ballots mailed in early. If not, make an effort to get out and vote on November 6!

That’s my two cents.

2 comments:

  1. Glad to hear you got your voting done early. I am surprised at how many people don't vote. One guy on the news said, "I don't vote. I just go with the flow afterwards." The news reporter wasn't expecting that and was a bit shocked.

    Unfortunately, all of the reports I am hearing regarding R-74 and initiative 502 are going the opposite of what they should. You can imagine the same type of people who supported Costco's hard liquor push are the same type of people who will support these other detrimental laws as well.
    Hopefully there will be enough smart people that vote in this election.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I dropped your ballot along with mom and dads in the drop box today!!! I voted also!! Very important!

    ReplyDelete