Sunday, January 13, 2013

Heroes and Wallflowers


There are several thoughts going through my head today. First of all, I found out about a month ago that my cousin, Jennifer Sabin Sattley, wrote a book! It is titled,  “My Heroes Ask Wallflowers To Dance” and is available on Amazon.com. I ordered a copy the day  I found out about it. My mom and dad have been reading it out loud and we are little over halfway through. I really want to finish it! I never want to stop when it is time to quit. Anyway, there is no way to get through it without shedding many tears. Even though I already know the story, it’s wonderful to learn the details. Reading Jenny’s book makes me want to be a better person. It makes me happy to know that I share about 13% of my DNA with her. J
-May 2002 --
Juliet, Jennifer, Tammy

I didn’t know my cousin, Justin, very well. He was eight years younger than me and for most of our lives we lived several hundred miles apart. But I do have several cherished memories of him. My very first experience with fasting was when Justin was a baby and we held a family fast for him. I remember it quite well. It left a lasting impression on my young life. Justin had quite the personality. Just thinking about him makes me smile. It was fun to read some of the stories about him in Jennifer’s book. Justin was too good for this life. He finished his test early and has already graduated. Once again, I am proud to be related to someone so celestial.

Reading Jenny’s book, for me, is like reading Pres. Monson’s biography (which I just finished). They both remind me of how true disciples of Jesus Christ should be. Although, I am reminded of my woeful inadequacy as a disciple of Jesus Christ, it makes me want to be better. Along with Pres. Monson, my Uncle Gary, Aunt Val, and their children (my cousins) are wonderful examples of disciples of Christ.

To anyone reading this blog, I highly recommend Jennifer’s book.  [Even though we haven’t finished reading it yet] Jenny has a very inspiring story, and she tells it very well. She is a beautiful young woman inside and out. When you buy the book, you might want to buy a couple boxes of Kleenex to go with it. You will need them!

I had a couple of other thoughts I was going to share today but, I think I will leave it at that.

That’s my two cents.

3 comments:

  1. I am about half way through it too. Reading the book is pretty emotionally taxing. The Sabin's are an amazing family. I love them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I highly recommend it too!
    Very inspirational.
    I am doing my FHE lesson around a thought/quote from Jennifer's book tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love Jenny and love the book she wrote! We miss Justin for sure! Great post Tam. I remember those pictures!

    ReplyDelete