Saturday, August 19, 2023

Dad's Poem

Lisa found a poem Dad had written on a postcard dated July 24, 1971 while on a Pan Am 747 en route from Hong Kong to Tokyo. Presumably flying back to the states from Vietnam.

This is the front of the postcard:


Back of the postcard (Roma Hotel Excelsior):


Here's what it says:

"Angels cry, as my soul is weak–

With tear filled eyes I walk the street–

In pursuit of a dream that I will never find.

This is the fact that holds the binds.

The realm is there, and reality far off,

But when will it be that I am no longer lost?



Time is endless, yet eternity seems near.

My prayers have been answered so no more tears.

Now I am baptized, a Mormon no less.

And now not only me, but my family is blessed.

Children of God, please hear me out–

I'm a Latter-day Saint and I'm mighty proud –


July 24, 1971

Written by Mike Stone aboard 747 Pan Am enroute to Tokyo from Hong Kong."

This poem really touched me.  I wish I would've had it when I wrote Dad's talk for his funeral, I would have included it.  It goes along perfectly with what I wrote in my talk.

Out of curiosity, I looked up Dad's baptismal date.  He was baptized July 16, 1971 – just eight days before he wrote this poem.

I know that Dad was a much more spiritual/religious man than most people realize.  But I didn't know that he was so proud to be a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints after he was baptized.  This makes me so happy.

I know that Dad is now busy doing missionary work, among other things, in the Spirit World.  Helping to gather Israel on the other side of the veil.

Dad always had a knack for writing poetry since he was a child.  This gem may be his finest work.

That's my two cents.

1 comment: