Monday, March 7, 2011

Commentary on Elder L. Tom Perry's CES Fireside

I watched the CES fireside last night with Elder L. Tom Perry. I forgot I was going to post a reminder to everybody that it was on yesterday. Anyway, I'm just going off memory here but the thing that stood out to me from his talk was when he mentioned that nowadays most people will say they are spiritual instead of religious. They don't want to be tied to a specific religion. And if a principle of faith fits in with their lifestyle that they will abide by it. But if not, then they will toss it aside.

Anyway, that's what I got out of the fireside last night. Now for my commentary. You know, I have to put in my two cents. :-) After all, that's the name of my blog.

I think that is true, the part about only abiding by a principle of faith/commandment if it fits in with their particular lifestyle, even in the Church. How many times do people listen to General Conference and if something is mentioned that does not fit in with their lifestyle, such as mothers should not work outside the home, or President Packer's talk which caused such an uproar, they discard it or even protest it?

For some reason, people think they are somehow excluded or immune from obeying the commandments when it doesn't fit their lifestyle. For some reason that particular commandment does not pertain to them.

How many "active, good, strong members of the Church" pay good money to sit in a dark theater and be bombarded by profanity, promiscuity, violence and lies all in the name of entertainment? How many times have we been told in general conference and otherwise not only to avoid R-rated movies but to avoid anything that drives the spirit away? Which, in my opinion, is basically any movie that Hollywood puts out, or any television drama, sitcom, talk show, etc.

Why do we think the Prophet's/apostle's counsel doesn't pertain to us? Are we somehow immune to Satan's attacks on our spirit, while others are not? I don't think so. And if you think you are, you are a fool.

Let me just give you an example that one of my family members shared with me. Certain members of a Young Women's presidency were overheard discussing a certain television show in which a bachelor dates a bunch of different women, including "overnight dates" and then selects one woman to marry.

Basically, this show teaches that promiscuity is not only acceptable but good. Not only that, but it also teaches that we should use people, then reject them. Amongst other horrible things that the show teaches. Anyway, these members of the Young women's presidency were talking about a certain episode and what happened after the "overnight date" and what this bachelor should do and who he should pick and so forth. One of them made the comment, "I don't know why more people don't watch this show". All of this being said in front of the young women to whom these leaders are supposed to teach correct principles and be good examples.

I find that to be totally reprehensible and abhorrent behavior by these young women leaders. But this example illustrates my point that people, including church members, will only abide by principles of faith/commandments that fit their lifestyle. The saddest part of this whole story is that these particular leaders of youth apparently saw nothing wrong with their behavior because they were in the house of the Lord at a Young women’s activity, as they were discussing the scumbag show in front of the girls.

As a tribute to the youth of the Church, let me tell you what one of the young women who overheard the conversation of her leaders later said/did. This young woman was so disgusted that she literally walked away so she wouldn’t have to continue listening. And said, in a disgusted voice, “They’re talking about The Bachelor!”

Let me just leave you with a couple of quotes from Elder Perry's talk. (The transcript is not available yet so I obtained these quotes from a summary article written on DeseretNews.com)

"As I look to the future — as I look at your future — I pray that you will step forward and assume your responsibility of preserving the noble heritage of the past," he said. "I pray that in a future day you will be known as 'The Greatest Generation.' Your war is different. I am full aware that your challenge will be much greater than ours. We knew our enemy on the battlefield. They were shooting at us. The enemy today is more sinister. He does not always confront us in head-on battle. Instead, he hides in almost every device known to man."

"My young friends, as you see the weakening of Christian faith in society your own faith must become even more firm and sure. You are the generation the Lord has saved for this day," he said.

As our world becomes more evil, and Satan becomes more sinister and deceptive, I hope we can all remain strong in our values, and stand up for our beliefs, and defend truth.

That’s my two cents.

2 comments: