Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Interesting Side Effect

There are certain unpleasant things that go along with having a spinal cord injury and being quadriplegic. One of them is involuntary muscle spasms. For me, these occur on a regular basis, several times a day. They are often the result of being touched or moved. But can also occur spontaneously. For no apparent reason. Probably coinciding with internal noxious stimuli (or external for that matter).

Spasms are not pleasant. For me they feel like getting punched in the stomach by Mohammed Ali. Another manifestation is the feeling of elephants sitting on me, making it harder to breathe. I know, by now you’re probably thinking I’m even more loony than you previously thought.

I’m not posting this to complain, but rather to relate an interesting correlation.

Last week I suffered a fierce bout of what I think was food poisoning. I was very sick for a few days. I haven’t had very many acute systemic illnesses (such as the flu) in the past eight years. But the few that I have had, I have noticed an interesting side effect. My spasms go away.

In fact, that’s a way that I can gauge how sick I really am. When the spasms disappear, I know I’m pretty sick. When the spasms start coming back, I know I’m on the mend. In fact, this time around I still felt pretty sick when the spasms returned, and I told my mom, “It looks like I’m getting better.”

I don’t know if there have been any studies done on this particular phenomenon. Or, if maybe, it’s something unique to me. It would be interesting see a study done. But, at any rate, it’s a welcome side effect. Although I would much rather not be sick and suffer the spasms. It’s nice to have some relief from the daily nuisance of spasms while suffering from acute illness.

That’s my two cents.

3 comments:

  1. That is interesting that the spasms would go away during illness. It would be interesting to research this and see why this happens.
    Glad you feel better, but not glad that you have to deal with spasms everyday. I can tell they hurt a lot just by watching it happen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are an amazing example of strength to me. Seeing you go through what you have to go through every single day is very hard for me to see, but I am amazed at your resilience and that you still have a lust for life and are still a go getter even in your circumstance. I hope I can become as strong as you someday (although probably not in this life).

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are one tough cookie Tam!!!!

    ReplyDelete