Monday, June 13, 2011

Calumny May Defame

I thought about blogging about The Book of Mormon Musical several times. I haven’t done it yet for several reasons. But in light of recent events, namely winning nine Tony awards, I have decided to put in my two cents.

I have purposely remained mostly uneducated about The Book of Mormon Musical. But I have read a few news articles and I’ve heard some things about certain members of the Church.

What I do know about The Book of Mormon Musical is that it profanely mocks my religion. That’s not cool. Why is this okay? Don’t we live in a world of political correctness? Would it be okay to mock other groups such as Muslims, homosexuals, blacks, etc.?

There would be uproars, riots, picketing, and worse. No other Broadway musical mocking a religion or any distinct group of people would be tolerated. Let alone win nine Tony awards.

I., for one, am disgusted. But that doesn’t matter because I’m just a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of latter-day Saints (a Mormon). It’s okay to persecute and mock me and my religion. Isn’t that what they’re telling us? By awarding nine Tony’s to The Book of Mormon Musical? So much for political correctness.

To throw salt into the wound, I read an article that during one of the acceptance speeches at the Tony awards, one of the writers mockingly thanked Joseph Smith.
Alma 5:30-32
30 And again I say unto you, is there one among you that doth make a mock of his brother, or that heapeth upon him persecutions?
31 Wo unto such an one, for he is not prepared, and the time is at hand that he must repent or he cannot be saved!
32 Yea, even wo unto all ye workers of iniquity; repent, repent, for the Lord God hath spoken it!

The Lord doesn’t mince words. That’s a pretty blunt warning.

I suppose we, as members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, should be used to mockery and persecution. Perhaps that’s one of the reasons why we haven’t made a big fuss over The Book of Mormon Musical. We have been mocked and persecuted since the restoration of The Church. Even in these days of extreme tolerance and political correctness mockery and persecutions still rage. And it will continue. It’s a sign of the times.
Joseph Smith said, “The Standard of Truth has been erected; no unhallowed hand can stop the work from progressing; persecutions may rage, mobs may combine, armies may assemble, calumny may defame, but the truth of God will go forth boldly, nobly, and independent, till it has penetrated every continent, visited every clime, swept every country, and sounded in every ear, till the purposes of God shall be accomplished, and the Great Jehovah shall say the work is done.”

What really disturbs me is the members of the Church who actually pay money to support this trash in order to “fit in”. Whatever happened to being in the world but not of the world?

I, for one, would not want to be associated in any way with people who think The Book of Mormon Musical is funny or cool. Why would you want to “fit in” with people who profanely mock your religion, your core beliefs and values?
1 Nephi 8:26-28
26 And I also cast my eyes round about, and beheld, on the other side of the river of water, a great and spacious building; and it stood as it were in the air, high above the earth.
27 And it was filled with people, both old and young, both male and female; and their manner of dress was exceedingly fine; and they were in the attitude of mocking and pointing their fingers towards those who had come at and were partaking of the fruit.
28 And after they had tasted of the fruit they were ashamed, because of those that were scoffing at them; and they fell away into forbidden paths and were lost.

The Book of Mormon Musical is not just distasteful, it is blasphemous mockery.
Doctrine and Covenants 63:58 For this is a day of warning, and not a day of many words. For I, the Lord, am not to be mocked in the last days.

That’s my two cents.

3 comments:

  1. AMEN!
    It is true. No other group or religion would be allowed to be mocked or disrespected in such a way. It really is disgusting. I find it absolutely appalling that any person of the LDS faith would support the production in any way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! An alone voice crying in the wilderness... John replied in the words of Isaiah the prophet, "I am the voice of one calling in the wilderness, 'Make straight the way for the Lord.'"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brigham Young said "when you kick the Church you only kick it up"

    ReplyDelete