Sunday, June 26, 2011

Relief Society Lesson -- You Are My Hands

I did a horrible job presenting my lesson today in Relief Society. But nonetheless, here are my notes.

You Are My Hands
Pres. Dieter F. Uchtdorf
April 2010 General Conference

Our Hands Can Embrace

Luke 18:9-14
9 And he spake this parable unto certain which trusted in themselves that they were righteous, and despised others:

10 Two men went up into the temple to pray; the one a Pharisee, and the other a publican.

11 The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, God, I thank thee, that I am not as other men are, extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this publican.

12 I fast twice in the week, I give tithes of all that I possess.

13 And the publican, standing afar off, would not lift up so much as his eyes unto heaven, but smote upon his breast, saying, God be merciful to me a sinner.

14 I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other: for every one that exalteth himself shall be abased; and he that humbleth himself shall be exalted.

Every person we meet is a VIP to our Heavenly Father. Once we understand that, we can begin to understand how we should treat our fellowmen.

Our Hands Can Comfort

It is unworthy of us as Christians to think that those who suffer deserve their suffering.

Our Hands Can Serve

This is the spirit of compassion: that we love others as ourselves, seek their happiness, and do unto them as we hope they would do unto us.

True Love Requires Action

We can speak of love all day long…but until we manifest that love in action, our words are nothing but “sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.”

Christ did not just speak about love; He showed it each day of His life.

We Can Love As He Does

Jude 1:12
12 These are spots in your feasts of charity, when they feast with you, feeding themselves without fear: clouds they are without water, carried about of winds; trees whose fruit withereth, without fruit, twice dead, plucked up by the roots;

Without this love for God the Father and our fellowmen we are only the form of His Church—without the substance.

As we extend our hands and hearts toward others in Christlike love, something wonderful happens to us. Our own spirits become healed, more refined, and stronger. We become happier, more peaceful, and more receptive to the whisperings of the Holy Spirit.

1 comment:

  1. You did a fantastic job...as usual! I just love it when you teach!

    ReplyDelete