Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Medical Tip

Instead of buying over-the-counter cough medicine such as dextromethorphan, try using a spoonful of honey instead as a cough suppressant. Studies have shown honey to be just as efficacious as a cough suppressant as over-the-counter cough syrups.

The particular study I read was a pediatric study using honey, dextromethorphan, or nothing. As you would suspect the dextromethorphan worked better than nothing but the honey worked just as well, if not better, than the dextromethorphan at suppressing the children's coughs. Sorry, I don't have the reference because I read it several weeks ago. Just thought I would pass the information along to you to try.

Honey has antibiotic properties as well as the viscosity coats the throat to calm the mechanism that triggers the cough.

I'm sure it will work just as well in adults as children.

That's my two cents.

1 comment:

  1. My mother used to give us honey mixed with lemon juice. I don't know if the lemon juice makes it more effective, but I liked the taste.

    It is probably worth mentioning for readers who don't know that for the very youngest children, the CDC advises that

    Honey can contain the bacteria that causes infant botulism so, children less than 12 months old should not be fed honey. Honey is safe for persons 1 year of age and older.

    Honey is not the only source of infant botulism infections, but they are nevertheless very rare. The rationale for the CDC's advice is that botulism is dangerous enough when it occurs to justify taking a precaution to reduce the tiny risk a little bit more.

    ReplyDelete