Sunday, July 8, 2012

From One Extreme to the Other

Friday I attended the funeral of one of my old Puyallup ward members. He was my favorite person in that ward. He reminded me a lot of my Grandpa Sabin. He would always bring us vegetables from his garden and beautiful fresh cut flowers from his yard.  As far as I knew, he was about as celestial as a person can be on this earth.  Brother Robinson was the type of person you would want to try to emulate so that you could spend eternity with people of his caliber.


Anyway, during his funeral one of the speakers mentioned that he was a covenant keeper. That struck me because I had just given a Relief Society lesson on covenants. And one of the quotes that I remember from Elder Nelson’s talk was that the best compliment you could ever receive is to be called a covenant keeper.


I thought it was cool that Brother Robinson was called a covenant  keeper at his funeral. That is a goal I will strive to attain.  To hope to receive that compliment at my funeral.

Yesterday I was watching a DVR of 20/20. It was a Barbara Walters special about heaven. Interestingly, they had Marilyn Manson as a guest. One thing he said that also struck me was that he wouldn’t want to be in heaven because he wouldn’t be comfortable there. He said no one he knows will be there.  He said he wants to be in a place where he would be comfortable. 


I found it interesting that Marilyn Manson was teaching Gospel doctrine.   Since he is about as far away from the church as one can get.

Then I got to thinking about how Brother Robinson and Marilyn Manson are polar opposites yet they will both end up in places where they will be most comfortable. Isn’t the plan of salvation wonderful?

That’s my two cents.

1 comment:

  1. Brother Robinson was one of the finest men I've ever had the pleasure of knowing. He was a spiritual powerhouse who set a stellar example.

    ReplyDelete