Friday, November 21, 2014

Epiphany

I was watching discussions on the Pearl of Great Price this morning.  One of the episodes I watched was about the second coming/signs of the times as found in Joseph Smith-Matthew.  Which is Joseph Smith's inspired translation of Matthew 24.

Anyway, something that was said struck me almost like an epiphany.  So I thought I would share it on my blog.

They were discussing the scripture that says that even the very elect will be deceived in the last days.
  • Joseph Smith-Matthew 1:22
    22 For in those days there shall also arise false Christs, and false prophets, and shall show great signs and wonders, insomuch, that, if possible, they shall deceive the very elect, who are the elect according to the covenant.

    Matthew 24:24
    24 For there shall arise false Christs, and false prophets, and shall shew great signs and wonders; insomuch that, if it were possible, they shall deceive the very elect.
In light of recent events I have been somewhat concerned about not becoming one of the deceived. I began to wonder -- after personally seeing the fall of some very elect -- how do I prevent that from happening to me?

As I was watching the program, one of the professors mentioned my missionary scripture -- Helaman 5:12 -- as the answer.
"And now, my sons, remember, remember that it is upon the rock of our Redeemer, who is Christ, the Son of God, that ye must build your foundation; that when the devil shall send forth his mighty winds, yea, his shafts in the whirlwind, yea, when all his hail and his mighty storm shall beat upon you, it shall have no power over you to drag you down to the gulf of misery and endless wo, because of the rock upon which ye are built, which is a sure foundation, a foundation whereon if men build they cannot fall." -- Helaman 5:12
For me, that was a lightbulb moment. Ting. I don't know why I didn't connect it earlier. My interpretation: If you build your foundation on the Savior and His teachings, you cannot be deceived/fall.  In other words, if you live the gospel of Jesus Christ by keeping His commandments to the best of your ability -- you cannot be deceived.

Of course we all falter at times, but as long as we keep trying to live the gospel and pick ourselves up when we stumble, we will not be among those who are deceived and fall.

I find that very comforting. It's a marvelous promise we are given.

Interesting side note -- I noticed during General Conference last month that Helaman 5:12 was often quoted.  I would venture to guess it was the most quoted Scripture during that particular conference.  I guess it's a reminder that we all need.  :-)

That's my two cents.

1 comment:

  1. As I was reading your post, I thought, Helaman 5:12 is the scripture that was quoted all throughout the last General Conference...and then you said that at the end of your post. :)
    I just quoted that scripture last night. I hope I can always remember that and do it...and never fall. It is sad to see so many elect falling.

    ReplyDelete