Sunday, November 16, 2014

Reality

I've been told a couple of times recently that I do not live in reality. That in fact, I live in a bubble. I've never been one to concern myself with other people's perception of me, but it got me thinking about what it means to live in reality. So I thought I would share a few thoughts with you.

First of all, so we are all on the same page, the dictionary definition of reality is, "The quality or state of being actual or true." As opposed to something that is idealistic or imagined. Now, the definition of bubble: "used to refer to a good or fortunate situation that is isolated from reality or unlikely to last."

An argument could easily be made that reality is different for everybody. And that you can create your own reality. For instance, my reality is that it rains a lot and is often gray and cloudy where I live. For other people in other parts of the country or world reality is that it is hot and sunny all the time. Naturally, that reality could easily be changed by moving. The fact that I live in the Pacific Northwest, where rain and clouds are a reality often times, doesn't preclude me from knowing that people living in the tropics are most likely experiencing hot and sunny weather.

People's lives are governed by their choices. That is reality. Some people may choose to invite things into their lives/minds that skew their perception of reality. For instance: Hollywood movies, television, popular music of any genre, magazines, etc. none of those things represent reality. Yet, if you avoid such influences you are perceived as not living in reality by some people.

It should be obvious to most people that the media skews reality. For instance, I didn't take time to look up the exact numbers but I remember reading a study recently that stated the percentage of homosexuals in the United States being around 1.7%-- Yet in movies and television the percentage of homosexuals represented is closer to 20 to 30%. That is a huge skew from reality. Yet many people perceive that as their reality. Because that is what they see in the media.

The percentage of other vices such as smoking, alcohol use, drug use, adultery, fornication, cohabitation, violence, etc. are also extremely skewed from reality. Yet people who invite those movies, television shows, magazines, and music into their lives develop a skewed sense of reality.

I don't have to listen to a vulgar, profanity laden, sexually explicit song to know that it exists. Or to know that many people listen to such. I'm well aware of what the media portrays as reality. But I'm wise enough to know the difference between truth and fiction. I know that Satan wants us to believe that what he portrays as reality is in fact, not reality at all. Yes, there are many who will fall into this trap. There are many who will believe his lies -- that what he portrays as reality is reality. But the truth remains that what the media portrays as reality is actually far from reality.

For instance let's look at politics.  How many people get their political information from mainstream media?  It is well-known that mainstream media dramatically skews reality to the left. If the only political information you get is from mainstream media then you're only being fed liberal propaganda. Yet how many people accept mainstream media news as reality?  I would argue that most people in this country are either uninformed or misinformed about the political landscape and what's going on in reality.  Most don't even care.

Is being a slave to a smartphone reality? Is social media reality?  Not so much.  I just read an article that, in fact, argued the opposite.  Are those things not, in reality, an escape from reality?

In terms of living in a bubble -- being isolated from reality -- I hardly think I qualify. I have lived in six different regions of the country and have visited several others. At least half of the areas I have lived and worked in have been extremely liberal--Including San Francisco and Los Angeles where I met and worked with many people who live lifestyles completely opposite to mine. I keep abreast of the news via several different media outlets.  I am highly educated and hold a doctorate degree. I am well aware of what goes on in the world.

Just because I choose to avoid most forms of media, and choose not to put myself in certain situations does not mean that I am out of touch with reality or living in a bubble by any means. And perhaps ironically it means that I'm actually in better touch with reality than those who do subject themselves to the media. As a matter of fact, it is because I am well aware of reality that I choose to avoid those things that I know will be detrimental to me.

Reality is that those people who look at me and think that I'm out of touch with reality and living in a bubble are in fact, living in their own bubble and completely out of touch with reality and truth.

That's my two cents.

1 comment: