Sunday, December 20, 2015

What's with Sunday Deliveries?

What is with Sunday deliveries now? I had two messages in my inbox today telling me that I have two deliveries scheduled for today!  This is upsetting to me.

The first delivery was originally scheduled for Tuesday the 29th.  In fact I deliberately requested slow boat delivery on this particular order.  The order was placed just yesterday and none of the options even included Sunday delivery -- not that I remember anyway, perhaps they had next day, I never get next day delivery so to me that's not an option. I have been known to request slow boat delivery just to avoid Sunday deliveries.  I don't want to have to make some poor mail carrier work on Sunday just to bring me a package that I don't even want delivered on Sunday.

I'm sure the company thinks they are doing me a great favor by delivered my package nine days early.  But they are not.  I would rather wait nine days than to have Sunday delivery.

The second delivery was originally scheduled for Monday the 21st -- tomorrow.  This one is even more surprising because I didn't know that UPS even delivered on Sunday at all.  But when I got home from church I saw the e-mail in my inbox that stated that I have a UPS delivery scheduled for today.

What is going on?  All my life Sunday has been off-limits for deliveries.  And even Saturday deliveries were limited to certain carriers.  Never UPS.  So I'm quite surprised at the Sunday deliveries I have scheduled today by UPS and USPS.

It's actually very sad.  Sunday is supposed to be a day of rest.  A day reserved for worshiping the Lord.  It is supposed to stand out and be different than every other day of the week. Yes, certain people have to work on Sunday -- healthcare workers, police, firefighters, etc. -- but not delivery carriers. People are used to having to wait until Monday for deliveries.  That's how it's always been.  People are not used to Sunday deliveries.  It actually seems very strange to me.  And sad.

Have people gotten so used to having things immediately when they want them that they are now demanding Sunday deliveries?  Immediate gratification seems to be what people expect now.  In this age of cell phones, text messaging, social media, etc. everything is instant.

I miss the days of waiting for packages, actually going shopping or on vacation or anywhere and checking the answering machine when you get home  -- I'm so old I even remember when we didn't even have answering machines.  :-)

Patience is a virtue and it seems like it is ever decreasing in our world of instant gratification.  Life was much better when people could get away and actually get away.  Life was much better when we anxiously awaited the arrival of packages, wondering when it would come. Today, tomorrow, the next day?  Now we know when it's coming before we even order it.  Life was better when people actually observed the Sabbath as a holy day and treated it differently than every other day of the week.

That's my two cents.

1 comment:

  1. I guess I better go check my porch, in case there is a Sunday delivery I wasn't expecting.
    If there is, it's probably floated away in rain waters to the neighbors house.
    Like you said, they probably think they are doing people favors by delivering early to make sure people get their purchases in time for Christmas. But it is too bad the Sabbath is discarded more and more by people than ever before.

    ReplyDelete