Thursday, June 9, 2016

Don't Shoot the Messenger

I started listening to The Book of Mormon again yesterday morning.  As I was listening, a particular scripture -- one I've heard many times before -- struck me.  Here is the premise.  The Prophet Lehi is telling his son Nephi that the Lord commanded him (Lehi) that he (Nephi) and his brothers are to go back to Jerusalem to get the plates of brass (scriptures) from Laban.

Lehi goes on to relate the following to Nephi:

"And now, behold thy brothers murmur, saying it is a hard thing which I have required of them; but behold I have not required it of them, but it is a commandment of the Lord." -- 1 Nephi 3:5

When I heard that Scripture I immediately thought of the past few general conferences where angry apostates have vocally opposed the sustaining of our modern-day prophet and apostles.  These men have done nothing except dedicate their lives to serving the Lord and teaching His gospel.

The prophet and apostles don't create the Commandments.  They teach them.  It is the Lord himself who gives us commandments.  The prophets and apostles just relay that information to us. They are the Lord's mouthpiece.

So why shoot the messenger?  Why be so angry towards the Lord's servants when all they are doing is the will of the Lord?

If you don't like a particular commandment, or any of them, then take it up with the Lord.  Not His servants.

Don't shoot the messenger.

That's my two cents.

1 comment: