Friday, November 24, 2017

Coyote

This morning Dad came rushing in and told me to hurry and look up the fish and wildlife department's number.  I asked him what was going on.  He said there's a coyote on the property that's barely alive and needs help.

We called the Fish and Wildlife Department and after several keypad choices the recording told us to look up on their website for people to call about injured animals.  So we did.  The first couple we called were dead ends.  Then we got referred to West Sound Wildlife Shelter.

The lady there was very nice and told us that this was an emergency and to call 911.  I questioned whether this was a legitimate reason to call 911.  I always think somebody has to be dying before 911 should be called.  But she told me to tell them that West Sound Wildlife told me to call them.  So, I made my first 911 call in my entire life.

I kept getting referred to different people and finally they told me that coyotes are considered a nuisance animal and all we could do was let nature take its course.  Basically no one was going to help him and we just have to let him die.  That's not what we wanted to hear.

He has been laying on his side all day.  Dad keeps checking on him but all he can do is lift his head up.  Dad scared him when he drove the tractor down to check on him and he rolled down the hill a couple of times.  Trying to get away.  Poor little guy!

Anyway after I talked to 911 Dad called our veterinarian.  Of course they told us to call fish and wildlife.

So I called West Sound Wildlife again and told them I called 911 at their request and nobody will help him.  She told me she would talk to a senior rescue guy and get back with us.

They called us back a couple hours later and said there's nothing they can do.  They said if we were closer they would come euthanize him but they are clear up in Bainbridge Island. So we did all we could for him.

We don't know what his injuries are but I'm hoping the good Lord will either heal him or take him home.  I don't want him to suffer.


No comments:

Post a Comment