Monday, March 19, 2018

Resurrection

I had an interview with a member of my stake presidency a couple weeks ago.  During our conversation he mentioned that he was a church educator.  He mentioned that teaching kids (teenagers) about the resurrection was a little difficult because their bodies are already close to perfect in terms of not having any health problems.  So being resurrected to a perfect state really has no impact on them.  Teenagers already feel like they're invincible.

Partly because of that conversation and because Easter is around the corner, I've been thinking quite a bit about the resurrection.  Not only Christ's resurrection, which is why we celebrate Easter.  But also my own resurrection.  Because of Christ's resurrection we will all be resurrected.  It is a free gift given to us through His atonement.

I understand where those kids are coming from -- those who don't think much about their own resurrection -- because I was the picture of perfect health at that age also.  The only time I went to the doctor as a young adult was for my mission physical. I could have been a textbook example of perfect health.

But one fateful September day several years ago, everything changed.  Now my body is broken and scarred and doesn't work right.  I am constantly reminded of just how broken my body is.

I now have a much greater appreciation of the grace of our Savior, Jesus Christ, in giving us the gift of resurrection.  In fact, it is my knowledge of the doctrine of the resurrection and the hope it brings that keeps me going.  Without that knowledge, life would be much more difficult.  But I know that one day I will be made perfect.  I will be resurrected.  And not even one hair of my head will be lost.  We will all be resurrected.  What a glorious, wonderful, marvelous gift from our Savior.

The doctrine is beautifully taught in the book of Alma in the Book of Mormon. Amulek, who was a missionary, taught the following doctrine to a wicked man named Zeezrom:

Alma 11:42-45
42 Now, there is a death which is called a temporal death; and the death of Christ shall loose the bands of this temporal death, that all shall be raised from this temporal death.
43 The spirit and the body shall be reunited again in its perfect form; both limb and joint shall be restored to its proper frame, even as we now are at this time; and we shall be brought to stand before God, knowing even as we know now, and have a bright recollection of all our guilt.
44 Now, this restoration shall come to all, both old and young, both bond and free, both male and female, both the wicked and the righteous; and even there shall not so much as a hair of their heads be lost; but every thing shall be restored to its perfect frame, as it is now, or in the body, and shall be brought and be arraigned before the bar of Christ the Son, and God the Father, and the Holy Spirit, which is one Eternal God, to be judged according to their works, whether they be good or whether they be evil.
45 Now, behold, I have spoken unto you concerning the death of the mortal body, and also concerning the resurrection of the mortal body. I say unto you that this mortal body is raised to an immortal body, that is from death, even from the first death unto life, that they can die no more; their spirits uniting with their bodies, never to be divided; thus the whole becoming spiritual and immortal, that they can no more see corruption.
I'm so grateful for the doctrine of the resurrection.  I know that we will all be resurrected one day.  We will all be raised to immortality with perfected bodies never to die again.  What a glorious day that will be.  I'm so thankful to my Savior, Jesus Christ, for His resurrection which made it possible for all of us to be resurrected one day.  What a marvelous gift He has given all of us. 

I hope we will all remember the real reason we celebrate Easter. I hope we will all give thanks to our Heavenly Father for the gift of His Son and His resurrection that we may all be resurrected again someday.

That's my two cents.

No comments:

Post a Comment