Friday, April 6, 2018

Whenever I Hear the Song of a Bird

I marvel at all of God's creations. Several experiences I've had today remind me of God's hand in all things.

It's a beautiful day here today. I went to the dog tree. Whenever I go there or go outside in general I can always hear birds singing and chirping. Today while I was enjoying the scenery and cool breeze and sunshine, I could hear birds of many different varieties singing and chirping 360° around me. Even though all the birds are different species with different songs and sounds somehow it makes a beautiful chorus. I could also hear bullfrogs croaking which added to the beautiful chorus. No matter when I go outside, if I listen for it, I can hear birds singing and other animal sounds.

Looking at the trees that are just beginning to leaf out reminded me what a marvelous creation trees are. Every spring they blossom and leaf out with new life. During the summer all of the full-grown dark green leaves use the sun's energy to create nutrients necessary for the tree to grow. By fall you can see the new growth on the trees and then through environmental signals the tree shuts down photosynthesis and the leaves turn beautiful colors and fall off in preparation for winter. And the cycle begins again. Isn't it amazing how every deciduous tree goes through this cycle every year? Truly amazing evidence of God's hand in all things.

This morning I was discussing the amazing human body and specifically how amazing the heart is. I guess I've been thinking about the heart lately because of President Nelson. President Nelson is a world renowned cardiothoracic surgeon. He pioneered many of the advancements in heart surgery used today. Including the heart lung machine. He was one of its inventors. He performed the first open-heart surgery in Utah. Anyway I was thinking about the heart and how amazing it is. From just a few weeks after conception until death, the heart is beating constantly. On average 70 beats per minute. Over 100,000 times per day. Four intricate valves open and close billions of times in a lifetime. No machine even comes close to being able to do that without failing. Every day your heart pumps 2000 gallons of blood through your body. An example of how much that is -- we have a 1000 gallon tank in our pumphouse which stores water. It is huge. Every day my heart pumps enough blood to fill up two of those tanks. Amazing.The amount of work the heart does every day is equivalent to lifting a grown man to the top of the Empire State building. Yet the heart only uses 4 watts of energy to do so. And that is just one of the amazing organs in our bodies.

I just don't see how anyone can deny God's hand in all things. It is so obvious. Even the scriptures mention it. In the Book of Mormon we read of the prophet Alma testifying to Korihor, an antichrist, that all things denote there is a God.

Alma 30:43-44
43 And now Korihor said unto Alma: If thou wilt show me a sign, that I may be convinced that there is a God, yea, show unto me that he hath power, and then will I be convinced of the truth of thy words.
44 But Alma said unto him: Thou hast had signs enough; will ye tempt your God? Will ye say, Show unto me a sign, when ye have the testimony of all these thy brethren, and also all the holy prophets? The scriptures are laid before thee, yea, and all things denote there is a God; yea, even the earth, and all things that are upon the face of it, yea, and its motion, yea, and also all the planets which move in their regular form do witness that there is a Supreme Creator.
It's very sad how people can become so blinded to that which is right in front of their face. Even the few examples I used in this blog post denote there is a God. Yet there are those who will still deny His existence. How tragic for them.

Whenever I hear the song of a bird I think of my favorite primary song from my youth. Here are the lyrics:

1. Whenever I hear the song of a bird
Or look at the blue, blue sky,
Whenever I feel the rain on my face
Or the wind as it rushes by,
Whenever I touch a velvet rose
Or walk by our lilac tree,
I’m glad that I live in this beautiful world
Heav’nly Father created for me.

2. He gave me my eyes that I might see
The color of butterfly wings.
He gave me my ears that I might hear
The magical sound of things.
He gave me my life, my mind, my heart:
I thank him rev’rently
For all his creations, of which I’m a part.
Yes, I know Heav’nly Father loves me.

Words and music: Clara W. McMaster, 1904–1997. © 1961 IRI. Arr. © 1989 IRI

Certainly songs of birds, blue skies, rain, wind, roses, lilacs, butterfly wings etc. all denote that there is a God. They not only denote the existence of God, but they also show His love for us by blessing us with His beautiful creations.

I'm thankful for all of God's wonderful creations of which I'm a part and I thank Him reverently for them.

That's my two cents.

No comments:

Post a Comment