Monday, September 23, 2019

Weep for Them That Die

Today is the two month mark of Dad's death.  Because of that, and with Abinadi dying last week, I've been sad today.  I found a comforting talk about death by our prophet, back when he was a member of the Quorum of the 12 Apostles. I was actually on my mission in Florida when this talk was given.

I love this quote from his talk.
"Irrespective of age, we mourn for those loved and lost. Mourning is one of the deepest expressions of pure love. It is a natural response in complete accord with divine commandment: “Thou shalt live together in love, insomuch that thou shalt weep for the loss of them that die.” (D&C 42:45.)
"Moreover, we can’t fully appreciate joyful reunions later without tearful separations now. The only way to take sorrow out of death is to take love out of life."
-- Elder Russell M. Nelson, "Doors of Death", April 1992 General Conference
I love the line that says, "Mourning is one of the deepest expressions of pure love."   I never thought of mourning as an expression of love.  But President Nelson said it beautifully.

I also like the line that says, "The only way to take sorrow out of death is to take love out of life." Sorrow for the loss of loved ones is a natural consequence of our love for them.

It brings comfort to know that weeping for the loss of loved ones is a natural response in accordance with divine commandment.

That's my two cents.

No comments:

Post a Comment