Sunday, October 13, 2019

RS Meeting & Elder Scott Quote

Our Relief Society is having a Super Saturday type meeting on November 9.  If I gathered the information correctly there will be a brunch before hand then a few workshops then some craft projects and lunch.  It will be from 9:30 AM to 1:30 PM at the Graham Stake Center.

Anyway I was asked to lead one of the workshops.  I will be presenting on President Nelson's invitation to do the spiritual work necessary to receive personal revelation. Any of you women out there who can make it, you're welcome to attend.  It should be a fun, uplifting, educational experience.  I don't know what the other workshops will be on but I think one of them is about family history work.  I also don't know what the craft projects will be except I know one of them is making/decorating revelation journals. I hope some of you can make it. It's still a month away so mark it on your calendars.

In starting my research in preparation for my workshop presentation I came across this quote by Elder Richard G. Scott, a former member of the Quorum of the 12 Apostles.  In light of the recent loss of my father, it hit close to home and touched my heart.
"Another example of revelation is this guidance given to President Joseph F. Smith: “I believe we move and have our being in the presence of heavenly messengers and of heavenly beings. We are not separate from them. … We are closely related to our kindred, to our ancestors … who have preceded us into the spirit world. We can not forget them; we do not cease to love them; we always hold them in our hearts, in memory, and thus we are associated and united to them by ties that we can not break. … If this is the case with us in our finite condition, surrounded by our mortal weaknesses, … how much more certain it is … to believe that those who have been faithful, who have gone beyond … can see us better than we can see them; that they know us better than we know them. … We live in their presence, they see us, they are solicitous for our welfare, they love us now more than ever. For now they see the dangers that beset us; … their love for us and their desire for our well being must be greater than that which we feel for ourselves.”
"Relationships can be strengthened through the veil with people we know and love. That is done by our determined effort to continually do what is right. We can strengthen our relationship with the departed individual we love by recognizing that the separation is temporary and that covenants made in the temple are eternal. When consistently obeyed, such covenants assure the eternal realization of the promises inherent in them."  -- Elder Richard G. Scott, "How to Obtain Revelation and Inspiration for Your Personal Life", April 2012 General Conference
I like the line that says our relationships with those beyond the veil can be strengthened by our determined effort to continually do what is right.  And by remembering that our separation is temporary and remembering that temple covenants are eternal.  I also really like the quote from President Joseph F. Smith.  Where he tells us that those beyond the veil are close to us and they're looking out for our welfare.  And that our loved ones beyond the veil have a desire for our well-being greater than what we feel for ourselves.

Because they see the bigger picture now, they see the dangers we face in mortality and therefore are more concerned for our welfare than we are, because we don't always realize the dangers we are facing.

By continually striving to do what is right, my relationship with Dad, and other loved ones beyond the veil, will be strengthened.  I find comfort in this.  I hope and pray that you also will strive to do what is right and get on or stay on the covenant path.  So that your relationships with your loved ones beyond the veil will also be strengthened.

That's my two cents.

No comments:

Post a Comment