Sunday, May 2, 2021

Counsel with the Lord

This morning, as I was listening to my scriptures, I heard this passage once again.  This is one of the well-known verses -- Scripture mastery -- that we all are familiar with.  I've heard it countless times.  But still, it resonated with me.

Alma 37:37 

Counsel with the Lord in all thy doings, and he will direct thee for good; yea, when thou liest down at night lie down unto the Lord, that he may watch over you in your sleep; and when thou risest in the morning let thy heart be full of thanks unto God; and if ye do these things, ye shall be lifted up at the last day.

It's a simple verse yet full of wonderful counsel.  Here's what it means to me.

To counsel with the Lord is more than just a one-sided conversation.  When we pray, we talk to the Lord.  but do we also listen?  He counsels us through the Holy Ghost, through Scripture, through personal revelation, and sometimes through others. 

The prophet Alma is counseling his son, Helaman, in this Scripture.  But he is also counseling us.  He is teaching us to pray to the Lord in all our doings.  At night, in the morning, and throughout the day.  We should constantly have a prayer in our hearts.  If we do, the Lord will direct us for good.  He will watch over us in our sleep.  We should also remember to thank Him and not just ask for things.  It's easy to take for granted our blessings from above.

The first thing we should do after waking up is pray.  Thank the Lord for his blessings.  Last thing we should do before we go to bed is pray.  And all throughout the day in between we should pray.  And then quietly listen.  Read the Scriptures.  Let the Lord counsel us through the Holy Ghost.

I have had prayers answered immediately.  I have had prayers answered years later.  And some prayers, I'm still waiting on.  But I know that our Heavenly Father hears our prayers and answers them in His time.  Sometimes the answer is no, sometimes yes, sometimes we get an immediate answer, sometimes it's delayed.  But he is always listening. He hears our prayers.  He weeps with us, He rejoices with us, He loves us unconditionally.  And He answers each prayer in His time.

I love the promise at the end of the verse.  That if we keep an open communication with our Heavenly Father through prayer, that we will be lifted up at the last day.  When the Savior comes again to cleanse the earth of wickedness, those who counsel with the Lord in all their doings and keep a prayer in their hearts continually, will be lifted up with the righteous and not be burned as stubble with the wicked.

I honestly don't know how people can get through mortality without praying multiple times a day.  That's what gets me through the hard times.  I can't imagine not having that support.

If you currently don't pray -- or don't pray often -- try it.  It certainly can't hurt and can be a tremendous help.

That's my two cents.

No comments:

Post a Comment