Thursday, October 6, 2022

Childhood Dogs Prevent Schizophrenia

I just read an interesting article about a research study done regarding growing up with a dog being a protection against developing schizophrenia.

From the article:

"In this study, the researchers used health data from 396 adults diagnosed with schizophrenia and 381 adults diagnosed with bipolar disorder. They also included 594 adults with no mental health disorders to serve as the control group. The participants ranged in age from 18 to 65, were in good health and had no history of drug use. All were asked to detail their personal history with childhood pets. 

"When the researchers analyzed the data, they were surprised to find a statistically significant connection between the presence of a family dog in early childhood and a decrease in the risk of developing schizophrenia later in life. They did not find the same link in study participants with bipolar disorder or among those whose childhood pet was a cat."

I found the results very interesting.  I also find them very believable.  I remember my childhood dog, Tiger, being a great therapist.  Whenever I was sad, I would always go talk to Tiger.  I always felt better after pouring my heart out to Tiger.  

I do believe that having a childhood dog is a great asset and positive influence on people's mental health.  It seems logical that growing up with a dog would help in developing mental stability in adults.  I believe that having a dog at any time during your life is good for your health.  After all, dogs are man's best friend.

I had to chuckle that having a cat as a pet did not help in preventing development of neither schizophrenia nor bipolar disorder in this study.  I've never been a fan of cats as pets.  There's just something weird about cat people.

It is interesting though, in this study, that the statistics were only significant in preventing schizophrenia and not bipolar disorder.  Perhaps more research needs to be done to also include various other mental disorders.  We know that dogs help people heal physically.  That's why there are various programs where people take dogs to hospitals.  So it's not a stretch to think that dogs can help heal people mentally as well.

So, get your kids a dog.  It's good for their mental health.

That's my two cents. 

No comments:

Post a Comment