Sunday, December 13, 2009

Education

I was watching BYU TV this morning and heard this quote: “A truly educated man never ceases to learn.”-Gordon B. Hinckley. I hope I got that right. I just went from memory. They always play some great quotes about education before the BYU devotional. This is the one that stuck out to me.

As most of you know, I’m a strong believer in education. I think I did a blog entry about this subject and my grandma Sabin. Anyway, I like that quote by President Hinckley because education is something you can always gain more of. Even the most educated person on earth only knows a small fraction of the knowledge available.

The Church has always taught us the importance of education. Education is something that has always been emphasized as something we should strive for. In fact, in this next quote by President Dieter F. Uchtdorf, he mentions that education is a commandment.

"For members of the Church, education is not merely a good idea—it's a commandment. We are to learn 'of things both in heaven and in the earth, and under the earth; things which have been, things which are, things which must shortly come to pass; things which are at home, things which are abroad' (see D&C 88:79–80)."
Dieter F. Uchtdorf, "Two Principles for Any Economy," Ensign, Nov. 2009, 58

I’m glad that I set and achieved lofty educational goals for myself. It’s amazing how much of the information I obtained during my formal education, I still remember. I hope to be able to continue learning as much as possible. For this is what we are here on earth for. To learn and to grow and to progress towards becoming like our Heavenly Father. Who we all know is omniscient (all-knowing).

That’s my two cents.

1 comment:

  1. I like learning.
    I hate tests.

    Education is very important. Formal education has always been difficult for me. I do not have a book brain. I have an observational, life lesson brain.
    That's why I have a great memory when it comes to experiences I have had. I have memories clear back to age 3. Vivid memories. On the other hand, I have a bedroom full of textbooks from classes I have taken this year and I probably couldn't tell you much about what I learned from those books. Frustrating.

    Anyway, yes, education is important. I urge all young people to get their college education before becoming old like me. It will be much easier on you and your family.
    And to those like me...it's never too late. It's dang hard, but it's never too late.

    And something I was told in a blessing is this: Knowledge is important, but the greatest knowledge is the knowledge of God.

    ReplyDelete