Thursday, February 3, 2011

Money-Saving Tip of the Day

The other day my mom was putting a load of dishes into the dishwasher. We had run out of Jet dry, which, as we found out, is required for proper use of our dishwasher. If you don't use it, the dishes won't dry. We thought we had a faulty dishwasher but it turns out that newfangled dishwashers require jet dry to function properly.

Anyway, I remember reading somewhere that you can use plain white vinegar instead of jet dry. So I told my mom to try it. As it turns out, it works just as well or better than jet dry! And it is much less expensive.

The dishes come out sparkling clean and dry. You just pour the vinegar into the compartment where you would pour the jet dry, using the same amount. So, if any of you are wasting your hard-earned dollars purchasing jet dry, just go buy a gallon of plain white vinegar and save your money.

We all know that vinegar is a weak acid. And, as far as I'm aware, the ingredients in jet dry are also weak acids. Therefore, why waste your money on jet dry when you can get the same ingredient for much less money?

I wanted to do a price comparison but I don't have any hard numbers. I did look up the price of jet dry online, it was $4.59 for 8 1/2 ounces. That's a little over $.50 per ounce. A gallon of white vinegar is probably no more than $2-$3. At 128 ounces per gallon you are looking at about two cents per ounce. So in my rough estimation the cost of jet dry is 25 times the cost of white vinegar.

I don't know how much jet dry you use per load but for arguments sake lets say 1 ounce. It will make the math easier for me to do in my head :-) Now let's say you did five loads a week. Using jet dry that would cost $2.50 per week. Using white vinegar the cost is $.10 per week. That's a savings of $2.40 per week. Or about $125 per year.

Granted, my figures might be off quite a bit but the point is over time, the savings is significant.

That's my two cents.

1 comment:

  1. I never use Jet Dry, but maybe I should try the vinegar.

    ReplyDelete