Saturday, February 5, 2011

Should I Have Gone into Marketing?

Best Self Storage has been taken over by a national chain, and is now Extra Space Storage. Our family is mourning the loss of BSS. It was a family run business for about eight years. It was my home for four years. Our family, especially my parents, put a lot of blood, sweat, and tears into building and running BSS. When we moved to our new house three years ago, my brother took over and moved his family into the apartment above the office. I have many cherished memories of sitting in the office with my brother, mom, and dad.

Anyway, it’s time to start a new chapter in our books of life. A chapter which, sadly, does not include BSS. There will be no more Best Self Storage track and field team. No more stories about tenants and their antics. No more 2 AM calls from Mountain alarm. No more fire trucks rolling because of some dust in a smoke detector. No more over locks, ballast replacement, bioswale, etc.

In the process of changing hands. The ESS people were getting rid of everything BSS. They replaced the cute squirrel rug with a plain black rug. Juliet actually found the rug rolled up in the dumpster.

The pass along cards were immediately removed from the desk which was their home for many years. Anyway, there were some signs that I had made up back when we were still living at BSS. I had forgotten how cool they were :-). Thankfully, somebody recovered them before ESS threw them in the dumpster.

Perhaps I missed my calling in life. You be the judge.

To drum up business, I had the idea to have someone dress up in a gorilla suit and dance around while holding these signs:
RIP BSS.

That's my two cents.

2 comments:

  1. Tammy, as you well know, Mom and I cried each other to sleep many a nights at B.S.S. We all leave behind a legacy of much happiness, and gratitude to dear old B.S.S. Three of our family's best friends are buried across the fence from the facility in a beautiful serene wooded area. May Duke, Panda, and Suzy R.I.P. I leave behind me mixed emotions I wish the very best for the new management team, but know deep in my heart that twelve teams of E.S.S. could never accomplish what the original team at B.S.S. did, and under much more challenging circumstance's. Just wanted to throw a "Penny for my thoughts" your way. Sweet Dreams B.S.S.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your marketing skills are needed at Wendy's. We saw a sign that said,

    "Fresh Never
    Frozen Beef"

    The way they grouped the words together made it sound completely opposite of what they were wanting to say. Mercedes and I laughed at that.

    It still seems unreal that BSS is gone. A lot of memories...

    ReplyDelete