Saturday, March 30, 2013

The Abinadi Saga

Monday morning when I went into the kitchen to eat breakfast I saw a dog in our yard. I said, “hey, there’s a dog in our yard!” Then I noticed how skinny he was and said, “he is starving to death, give him some food.” So dad gave him a milk bone which he promptly buried. Then he gave him some dog food which he scarfed. Then another bowl of dog food. I named him Abinadi.
He stuck around all day and in the afternoon we decided to take him to the vet to see if he had a microchip. He didn’t. No tags either. Everybody fell in love with him. He is quite the character. We kept him for three days. He was free to leave but never did.
Then, to make a long story short, we found the owner. L So we faced a moral dilemma. Because he obviously was not well taken care of and it appeared that the owners didn’t care about him because he was not microchipped, no tag, and was not neutered. Not to mention you could see all of his ribs and he was quite skittish. So we weren’t sure whether we should call the owner or not. But I could see little kids bawling their necks off praying for their dog to come home. Then dad saw the flyer, and we thought they cared, and we called.
Come to find out, the owner is a breeder and a seven-year-old girl that came with her mom to pick him up did not even look at him and was just complaining about going home. Very sad. We wish we had never let him go. But we did what we thought was the right thing by returning him to his owner. It wasn’t.
I think I have been bawling more over the past three days than any little kids would have. I miss Abinadi. He would jump on me and give me kisses. He loves to give everybody hugs. He is such a sweet dog.
Today, we were going to call and inquire if the owners would sell Abinadi to us.
But, this morning as dad went to get the paper in his truck, he saw Abinadi sniffing the gate, perhaps trying to get in. But I guess the loud diesel truck along with Samson running  out the gate, and dad wearing a hat scared him. He ran off with his tail between his legs through the neighbor’s yard and down the county road and was lost. L
I can’t believe he was that close and we didn’t get him back. So now I don’t know if he will ever come back because he ran off scared. I hope and pray that he does come back. I love that boy. And I only knew him for three days.
“Regrets, I’ve had a few.”  To quote a famous song. Look at that face? Isn’t he a doll?
Come Back Abinadi! we miss you !










No comments:

Post a Comment