Friday, August 23, 2019

July 23rd

Today is the 23rd.  Exactly one month ago today, on July 23, my dad completed his earthly mission.  Also, exactly 4 weeks ago today was his funeral.  It still seems surreal to me that he is gone.  It's hard.

July 23 is a significant day in my life.  July 23, 1993 is the day I completed my full-time mission and returned home to my family in Utah.  In fact, I believe I have commemorated that day every year on my blog since I started it.  Except for this year.

About a week before Dad died, I told him to hang on until the 23rd because that was the day I completed my mission.  I wanted to have that in common with him -- that we both completed missions (his earthly and my full-time proselyting) on the same day.

He told me he would try.  Dad was always a man of his word.  And this was no exception.  He did it!

I fully believe he would have gone a couple days earlier if not for me and my (silly) request.  He fought hard to stay here those last couple of days.  Regrets, I've had a few. 

It is certainly something I will always remember and treasure.  Dad and I completed missions on July 23, exactly 26 years apart. On July 23, 1993 I completed my full-time mission in the great Florida Tampa Mission, and returned home to my family in Orem, Utah. On July 23, 2019 Dad completed his mortal mission and returned home to his Heavenly family.

Here are a few more pictures I found of me with my pops.

December 26, 1996
Orem, Utah

November 1995
Logan Utah
I'm digging my Farrahesque hair in the above photograph.  :-)

My 26th birthday celebration
I love you and miss you, Dad!  Thanks for toughing it out and fighting until July 23 to fulfill my request. July 23 will always be the day we share in completing our different missions.

Wookatah wookatah!

That's my two cents.

No comments:

Post a Comment