Friday, August 9, 2019

RIP Doctor Scherer

I got an e-mail a few days ago from my medical school alma mater. The subject line read Paul R. Scherer, DPM Biomechanics Seminar.  So I immediately thought that Doctor Scherer was hosting the seminar.  I knew Doctor Scherer quite well during my training years at CCPM.  He not only lectured on biomechanics as a professor but also was a top clinician in biomechanics.  I really liked Doctor Scherer.

So imagine my surprise when the word Memorial popped up.  Paul R.Scherer Memorial Biomechanics Seminar. What?!  He's dead?  I was shocked.  I guess I shouldn't have been.  I figured he was about my parents' age.  And my dad just died.

Come to find out through reading the obituary, he died 10 days after being diagnosed with pancreatic cancer.  Back in October 2018. He was 72 years old.

Doctor Scherer was always nice to me.  He owned his own orthotics lab.  I remember taking a tour of  it one time.  He was one of my favorites at CCPM.

In fact, Doctor Scherer was the clinician leading the Special Problems Clinic when I was donned Doctor Barbie.  When the lady told her daughter to walk towards the doctor that looks like Barbie so that we could watch her gait, Doctor Scherer is the one who said, "We just call her Doctor Barbie around here."  So, Doctor Scherer is responsible for my nickname.

Doctor Scherer was one of, if not, the top biomechanics experts in the world.  Even though he was one of the best in his field he was never arrogant.  He was down to earth and personable.  I remember him saying one time during lecture that when we graduate we will all have the same title behind our names.  He was an excellent clinician and teacher.

RIP Doctor Scherer!

That's my two cents.

No comments:

Post a Comment