Sunday, January 28, 2024

Being a Disciple of Jesus Christ

Today in Sacrament Meeting we had a bunch of youth, their leaders, and a couple of bishopric members (including the Bishop) speak about what it means to them to be a disciple of Jesus Christ.  I heard a lot of "we need to love people", but never once did I hear anyone say that we need to keep the commandments to be a disciple of Jesus Christ.

I'm not the most observant person in the world, actually I'm probably the least observant person in the world.  But even I noticed the glaring omission of anyone stating the need to keep the commandments to be a disciple of Jesus Christ.  I was sorely disappointed.  Now, it's entirely possible that someone did mention it and I didn't notice.  But even so, it came across as everyone expressing how important it is to love everyone and a few mentioned serving and not judging others – but most, if not all, omitted mentioning the importance of keeping the commandments and serving God.

Now, don't get me wrong, the second great commandment – loving our neighbors as ourselves – is vitally important in being a disciple of Jesus Christ.  But what about the first great commandment?  I believe there's a reason that loving God is the first great commandment.  There's a reason why the scriptures emphasize loving God first, then loving our neighbor second – in that order.

Just to remind everybody what the actual scripture says here it is:

Matthew 22:37-39

“Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.” 

If we keep the first great commandment to love God with all our heart, soul, and mind – then the second great commandment comes naturally.  But, loving God with everything we have includes keeping His commandments.

It just seems to me that nowadays everyone emphasizes loving everybody as the definition of true discipleship or Christianity – which by worldly definition includes tolerating everybody's sins.  And that is not true.  Yes, loving everybody is important but it is secondary to loving God and keeping His commandments.  And being a disciple of Jesus Christ certainly doesn't include tolerating sin.

I just feel like there needs to be more emphasis in the Church on keeping the first great commandment and less emphasis on just loving everybody.  As I said before, loving our neighbors comes naturally when we first love God and keep His commandments.

That's my two cents.

1 comment:

  1. Funny, those exact thoughts came to my mind today too.

    ReplyDelete