Sunday, April 7, 2024

Uncle Holland

General Conference just ended.  It was another wonderful weekend of inspiration, counsel, and encouragement.  I just love General Conference weekend.  Before I give my summary of what stood out to me, I want to share a story about what happened yesterday morning.

Yesterday morning while Lisa was getting me ready we were talking about how trying counts.  Lisa mentioned that a lot of people lose hope because they think they are too far gone and there is no saving them.  But they are mistaken because trying counts.  I was trying to say that Elder Holland said in a recent talk that we shouldn't get discouraged because trying counts.  But what came out was, "Uncle Holland said…".  

Lisa and I had a big laugh about that.  I later said that I hoped we get to hear from "Uncle Holland" today (in General Conference).  Then Lisa mentioned "Uncle Holland" in her breakfast prayer.  And guess what?  "Uncle Holland" was the first speaker in the Saturday morning session.  It was awesome!  Because of illness, "Uncle Holland" missed speaking in the last two conferences (April and October 2023).  So, it was the first time he had spoken in General Conference since October 2022.

"Uncle Holland" gave an amazing talk as usual.  He talked a lot about prayer.  He mentioned that Heavenly Father hears and answers every prayer – although not always in the way we want.  He talked about his wife, Pat, and how many people were praying for her to live, but she died.  So those prayers were not answered in the way everyone wanted.  But, even though we don't understand, Heavenly Father in his infinite wisdom knows what's best.  Then he talked about how 48 hours after he buried his wife, he had a medical crisis and was in the hospital for six weeks, mostly in ICU.  He mentioned that his memory is vague of being in the hospital but he does have a memory of being in the Spirit World.  But those experiences are too sacred to mention in General Conference.  He did talk about all the people that prayed for him while he was ill and that those prayers were answered in the way we were all hoping for, because he made a full recovery from the brink of death.  He mentioned how grateful he was to everyone who prayed for him.  Like "Uncle Holland", I too know that Heavenly Father hears every prayer and answers in a way that is for our eternal benefit – even though we may not fully understand His reasoning.  With Elder Holland being an apostle for most of my adult life, I can honestly say that he is like an uncle to me.

Now, I just want to summarize my take on General Conference while it's still fresh in my mind.  Some of the things that stuck out to me are prayer, temples and temple worship, trials and keeping covenants.

There were a handful of talks about prayer.  Which, in this evil, wicked world is vitally important in keeping our communication open with God.  As I just mentioned, God hears and answers every prayer.

Several talks on temples and temple worship.  In fact that was our prophet, President Russell M. Nelson's, main message was about the importance of temple worship and the blessings we receive from it.

There were a few talks about trials and how trials are part of our mortal journey.  We can't grow and progress without them.  They are necessary for our spiritual development and progress.  We are never alone in our trials.

A few talks on keeping covenants and staying on the covenant path.  Enduring to the end.  We need to feed our spirits every day like we feed our bodies.  Only feeding our spirits once a week on Sundays is not enough to survive spiritually. 

Those are just a few of my thoughts.  I'm excited to rewatch conference, in the coming weeks, to be able to glean more from all the wonderful talks.  It was truly a wonderful conference.  Always edifying and uplifting.

Just an aside, Uncle Gary – my actual, biological uncle :-) – A.K.A. Elder Gary B Sabin, was released as a General Authority Seventy effective August 1.  He will receive emeritus status on that date as he turns 70 this year.  His birthday is actually today!  Happy Birthday Uncle Gary!  General Authority Seventies, unlike prophets and apostles, only serve until their 70th year.  Then they are given emeritus status.

If you didn't take the opportunity to watch General Conference this weekend, I would highly recommend you do so.  The transcripts will be out in a few days but I believe you can watch the talks immediately.  Here is a link to the Saturday morning session . From that link you can find the other sessions.

I am so thankful for my Savior, Jesus Christ, and His true church.  I'm thankful for living prophets and apostles that lead and guide His Church.  I'm grateful that we get to hear from the Lord through His living prophets and apostles every six months via General Conference.  I am so grateful for the gospel of Jesus Christ and the joy, happiness, and peace it brings to me.

That's my two cents.

2 comments:

  1. General Conference is always so wonderful. I love it so much! And what a blessing it was to be able to see Pres. Nelson, Elder "Uncle" Holland and Pres. Eyring all present at some of the sessions. It's hard to believe another Conference is come and gone. Conference weekends go way too fast! I also saw Uncle Gary sitting with the Seventy, thinking it must also be a tender time for him, as it was his last General Conference as a Seventy up there. Many years of dedicated service. Happy Birthday to him!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "has" not "is". GT. ;)

    ReplyDelete