Friday, October 30, 2009

Way better with...?

My sister informed me yesterday that my niece had a young women's activity in which they decorated recipe boxes. Inside the recipe boxes were recipes that the young women leaders had typed up and made for all the girls. Now, there is nothing unusual or blog worthy about this. Except, one of the recipes that was given to the young women was for some kind of fondue and it stated on the recipe that you can add water, milk, or beer. And it emphasized that it was way better with beer. WHAT? Did I hear that correctly? The young women's leaders actually gave a recipe to young impressionable girls which said to use beer? That is absurd. You can't be serious. But yes, this really happened. To my niece. I still can't believe it and I heard the story yesterday.

How can someone who has been called to teach 12 to 18-year-old young women, while sitting at their computer typing up recipes, include the words, "Way better with beer"? Have these leaders never heard of the word of wisdom? Isn't that one of the hallmarks of our religion? Even people who know nothing about the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, know that we are taught to avoid alcohol, coffee, tea, tobacco, harmful drugs, etc.

I am completely dumbfounded that this happened in our church, to my niece. These young women have these activities to get away from the bad influences of the world. To strengthen their testimonies. And to become unified as a group. What are these young women learning when their church leaders are teaching them things that are contrary to the teachings of the Church? Well, I will tell you that the converse of what is supposed to be happening is happening. These young girls are very impressionable, and it is wrong for these young women's leaders to teach them things that are contrary to church teachings. Especially in the format of a church activity.

Now, I know what these young women's leaders would say in their defense. But they are WRONG. The alcohol never completely cooks out, and even if it did, it is the principle of the matter. Aren't we taught to avoid even the appearance of evil? Can you imagine going to the grocery store and watching your young women's leader purchase beer? As a matter of fact, along the same lines, in a previous ward my sister was in, one of the priesthood leaders purchased beer for a high Priest group barbecue or something. Can you imagine submitting that for reimbursement? WHAT IS WRONG WITH THESE PEOPLE? Are they really that stupid? Apparently so.

Stupid people really bug me. Especially when it concerns me or my family. You would think active members of the Church, who hold callings, would know what is appropriate. Or maybe they just don't care. To me, this is just another reminder of the sad state of our society. Even within the church.

That's my two cents.

2 comments:

  1. WOW!! that is unbelievable!! I have never heard of such stupidity! anyway, I hope that they get released from their callings!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen.
    A couple of parents besides me were upset to see those words written on the recipe--another just laughed and said "how funny." I am not seeing anything funny about it at all!
    Some of the advisors have talked about how they go shopping at stores after church, they show pictures of themselves in bikini's and now they include a recipe using beer and add the words "Way better with beer."
    Something is WRONG with this picture. What about morals, standards, and commandments?
    I better stop now because I'm just getting fired up!

    ReplyDelete