Thursday, January 21, 2010

Early to Bed and Early to Rise

I’m sure you’re all familiar with the following quote by Benjamin Franklin:

Early to bed and early to rise makes a man healthy, wealthy, and wise.
-Benjamin Franklin
US author, diplomat, inventor, physicist, politician, & printer (1706 - 1790)

I don’t know if there are any scientific studies to back this up. But I do have the Scripture that backs it up. Perhaps this is more convincing than any scientific study anyway.

D&C 88: 124
124 Cease to be idle; cease to be unclean; cease to find fault one with another; cease to sleep longer than is needful; retire to thy bed early, that ye may not be weary; arise early, that your bodies and your minds may be invigorated.

I have always been a morning person so, following this principle has never been hard for me. Except when I was in my 20s and I often stayed up too late. :-) Although I still got up early, mostly because I had to. (I would like to think that I am a bit wiser now.)

Anyway, I think this is an important principle for people to follow. I don’t know if it will make you wealthy, as Benjamin Franklin stated, but I do believe it will make you healthier and perhaps wiser. As stated in the Scripture, following this principle invigorates your body and mind and you are less weary.

To me, this principle is similar to the Word of Wisdom. As blessings of health are promised in abiding by this principle. For those of you who don’t currently follow the principle of going to bed early and getting up early, I challenge you to do so.

That's my two cents.

2 comments:

  1. I have always been a morning person also. So, like you, this has been fairly easy for me to live. However, I have been going to bed much later than I would like lately. I guess it has to do with needing to get my school work done. I still get up early though.

    I think there is great wisdom in this, and I know the scriptures are true!
    Good challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this post. however, with an 18 month old it is hard to follow this. He would NOT take a nap today and I just barely got him down for a nap! ok, but i love waking up early. I guess I do follow this somewhat because I go running with Mike usually every morning around 7 am!

    ReplyDelete