Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Cellular Psychosis

Since when do sane people go around talking to themselves? I see it all the time. Sometimes I even think that perhaps they may be talking to me. Until I see the Bluetooth in their ear.

Just a few years ago if I were to go out in public, the only people I would see talk to themselves, were the crazy people down on the wharf in San Francisco. Or some similar situation.

Now, it seems like every store aisle that I go down, I come across a cellular psychotic. Somebody with a Bluetooth device in their ear speaking loudly to themselves. When I first came across this cellular psychosis phenomenon, I began to wonder if the incidence of mental illness had suddenly skyrocketed. I thought to myself that perhaps closing down mental institutions wasn’t such a great idea.

Does wearing a piece of plastic in your ear suddenly make it okay to act bizarrely and I might add rudely?

Not too many years ago, people who walked around carrying on conversations with themselves, were locked up in mental institutions. Now, it is accepted as normal behavior?

Just because technology advances doesn’t mean we should ignore basic manners.

It really irks me when someone’s in the checkout line and completely ignores the cashier while carrying on a telephone conversation. I find that to be extremely rude. It is common courtesy to say hello and acknowledge the cashier serving you. There is absolutely no need to be carrying on a phone conversation in the checkout aisle.

When I go shopping, or anywhere out in public, I don’t want to listen to people’s telephone conversations. I don’t want to see/hear people talking to themselves. Generally if you are the only other person in the same proximity of someone speaking, you would naturally assume you are being spoken to. Not so anymore. Now it’s more likely that a cellular psychotic is on the loose.

Since when do people need to be talking on the telephone while shopping or running errands around town? It’s absurd. No matter is that urgent. Granted, there have been instances where lives have been saved in emergencies using cell phones. But, the overwhelming majority of cell phone conversations could easily be postponed until a more appropriate time and place.

This whole cell phone phenomenon has gotten completely out of hand. Everybody and their dog, it seems, has a cell phone.

What’s so bad about calling someone’s house and leaving a message? It used to be that people would get out of the house, or go on vacation to relax, de-stress, and become inaccessible - i.e. get away from everything.

Now, everybody takes their cell phone with them everywhere they go. Because heaven forbid, someone might need to call you and ask you what you had for breakfast, or some other nonsense.

Not only are cellular psychotics annoying, but they are dangerous. Studies have proven that having a cellular phone conversation, while driving, impairs the driver just as much as being drunk. Regardless of whether it is a hands-free conversation or not. The point is, you’re talking on the phone while driving, your mind is not focused on the task at hand. Your reaction time is much slower, and many motor vehicle accidents have been caused by cellular psychotics.

Cellular psychotics are just plain rude, selfish, ill mannered, and narcissistic.

That’s my two cents.

2 comments:

  1. I've made comments to checkers who just got totally ignored by the rude person with the cell phone in front of me in line before. You are right, it is a total lack of respect for them. You know who else didn't like being ignored?

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8j0eqZKTjpk

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the title you chose for this post. It really is. I do not know how many times I have seen people walking ALONE in the store and yet they are talking out loud to apparently nobody. It really is ridiculous at how people feel the need to have a phone attached to their ear at all times.
    When I drive the kids to school, there are always the same people driving in their cars holding a phone up to their ear (even though this is against the law).

    ReplyDelete