Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Quote by Christopher Columbus

I know Columbus day isn’t until October. But I really like this quote, so I thought I would post it. Mom and I have been reading, “No One Can Take Your Place” by Sheri Dew. This is a quote, by Christopher Columbus, from her book.

"Our Lord unlocked my mind, sent me upon the sea, and gave me fire for the deed. Those who heard of my enterprise called it foolish, mocked me, and laughed. But who can doubt but that the Holy Ghost inspired me?" (Wasserman, Columbus, Don Quixote of the Seas, 19-20).

Isn't it wonderful and interesting that the Lord had a hand in Columbus' voyage? And he recognized it, and wrote it in his journal. And isn't it wonderful that the founding fathers of our great nation, were also guided by the hand of the Lord?

It's nice to know, that even before the gospel was restored in its fullness, that the Lord was guiding Columbus, and others, through the power of the Holy Ghost.

That's my two cents.

[To refresh everyone's memory, Columbus landed in the Americas on October 12, 1492]

4 comments:

  1. That is cool that Christopher Columbus did recognize the guidance of the Holy Ghost and that despite mockery, he did what he was inspired to do.
    I smiled at the reminder of who Columbus was. :) I sure hope most people know that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wasn't reminding people who Christopher Columbus was. I was reminding them of the date. Which, of course, I learned in third grade. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope Dallas learns as much in 3rd Grade this year as you did.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Funny you should mention the 3rd grade because I almost mentioned that very thing in my previous comment.
    I knew you did. :)

    ReplyDelete