Tuesday, October 21, 2014

President Kimball Quote

I was reading the gospel doctrine lesson for next week -- just to clarify for those of you who may think I am perfect, I know I'm close but I'm not quite there yet ;-), this is something that I have rarely done in the past but I've been trying to do lately -- anyway, I came across this quote from President Kimball that I really liked.

President Spencer W. Kimball said: “I find that when I get casual in my relationships with divinity and when it seems that no divine ear is listening and no divine voice is speaking, that I am far, far away. If I immerse myself in the scriptures the distance narrows and the spirituality returns” (The Teachings of Spencer W. Kimball, ed. Edward L. Kimball [1982], 135).

Just an interesting observation-- It seems to me like when we are the farthest away from divinity, is when we need that relationship the most. Yet, that is when we are less inclined to seek it.

I also find it interesting that President Kimball's solution to narrowing the chasm we create between us and divinity is to study the scriptures. That, along with prayer, seems to be the solution to a myriad of spirituality issues.

Anyway that's what struck me today as I was reading through the gospel doctrine lesson for next week. I just thought I'd share.

That's my two cents.

No comments:

Post a Comment