Thursday, January 29, 2015

Priorities

I often hear people say, "I'm too busy..." or "I don't have time...". Whenever I hear people say that, a quote from my grandmother comes to mind, "One excuse deserves another". :-)

The truth of the matter is, everybody has the same amount of time. It's all about priorities and choices and where your heart is -- what you feel is important. And as they say, actions speak louder than words.

There are many who profess one thing, yet do something else. How many people claim to love God and believe in and want to live the commandments yet their actions speak otherwise?

"This people draweth nigh unto me with their mouth, and honoureth me with their lips; but their heart is far from me." --Matthew 15:8

How or where do we choose to spend our time? That is the true evidence of our character and integrity. Where you place your values is where and how you spend your time. Or as the scriptures more eloquently state, "For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also."-- Luke 12:34

With the advancement of technology, people appear busier than ever. When in actuality most of them are more idle than ever.  Wasting their time on useless endeavors.  Constantly on their smart phones or tablets or whatever the current device is, keeping tabs on which of their friends had Cheerios for breakfast. But the same technology which can be so detrimental to people's lives -- not necessarily intrinsically but because it consumes time from more worthwhile endeavors --can also be very helpful. 

Never before have people had such easy access to the scriptures, general conference addresses, uplifting music i.e. hymns, devotionals, all the printed words of the prophets and apostles via LDS.org, etc. and all for free!  It really is amazing that almost everybody has immediate access to these things at the tip of their fingers -- literally. Yet how many people take advantage of such?  I fear not nearly as many as could or should.

Here's a thought -- while you're busy driving around to work, doctors offices, grocery stores, etc. use those electronic devices-- that you are attached to at the hip-- to listen to the scriptures or general conference or  some uplifting music.  In fact, I challenge you to do so.  I will even issue you a bold promise that if you do accept my challenge, you will feel much better during the day.  I know because it works for me. My day always goes better when I start with spiritual nourishment.

When I thought of doing this blog post several days ago, I wasn't aware that the Super Bowl was coming up on Sunday. But it fits in nicely with the point I'm trying to make in this blog post.  So perhaps my timing wasn't coincidental.:-)

I really have no idea why people are interested in watching an obviously rigged sporting event where the players care more about the money in their wallets, or how much publicity they get, than the outcome of the game. Especially when those watching don't even care about or like the teams involved.  It really does baffle me. But I digress.

My point is, how many people will choose to break the Sabbath by watching an absolutely inconsequential sporting event -- which really is a dumb idol? And by so doing, choosing to ignore family and lessons lovingly prepared in their behalf?  Now don't get me wrong, I have nothing against football games.  In fact, I love college football and look forward to watching it every fall. But it's just a game.

 For the past few years the Super Bowl has fallen on our family home evening gatherings. It always amazes me that some family members choose to stare at a dumb idol instead of joining the family for family dinner and a family home evening lesson.  To me it's a no-brainer.  I mean really, what message does it send?  Is a dumb idol really more important than family?  Apparently to some it is.  Priorities.

I guarantee you that on Judgment Day the Lord isn't going to ask you who won Super Bowl whatever number it is.  But I guarantee he will ask you about your family. He won't ask you how much time you spent at work or how much money you made or what material possessions you acquired during your lifetime.  But he will ask you how much time you spent with your family in righteous endeavors.  He will ask you about your stewardship over those you are responsible for nurturing, providing for, and teaching.  He won't ask you how popular, famous or well liked you were by the world. He will ask you what you did to help others.

In the eternal scheme of things, things that people value so highly now are really absolutely inconsequential.  Fame, fortune, football games mean absolutely nothing.  What does matter is family, following commandments, and service.( I couldn't think of an F for that last one :-))

So when I hear people say they're too busy or don't have time to follow the commandments and serve the Lord I say, "One excuse deserves another".  Prioritize.

That's my two cents.  :-)

2 comments:

  1. Well said, Tam.

    The word I thought of was:

    Faith. :)

    I think people have to have the faith necessary to prioritize that which is most important. To believe that giving up some not-so-important things for more important things will bring greater happiness and satisfaction in the long run.

    Thanks for the reminder!
    Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have had 13 or more kids in my primary class every week since being assigned that class. Today, Super Bowl Sunday, I had 5. :(

    ReplyDelete