Monday, August 31, 2015

Wheelchair Batteries Part Two

I still have my original wheelchair that I received after my accident.  They usually recommend replacing them every five years.  I've had mine close to 13. I'm in the process of getting a new wheelchair!  :-)

Today I had to have my batteries replaced for only the second time in the history of my chair.  I blogged the last time I had the batteries replaced it was March of 2009.  So it's been about 6 1/2 years which is close to some kind of record according to the service repairman.

He said it's not unusual to replace wheelchair batteries annually.  He said the longest he's ever seen is close to eight years and that wasn't a chair with power seating.  Which takes more power.

So these batteries have outlasted the last ones by a year or so.  I remember asking in my blog post in March of 2009 if I would outlast the batteries.  :-) Obviously I did.  Despite having a broken femur for nine months and having major orthopedic surgery.

So I guess the million dollar question is will I outlast the second set of batteries?  :-) Time will tell.

 I've been running on one blinking bar for the past week.  The wheelchair would turn very slowly and had trouble going up ramps.  Now I have nine solid bars and hopefully tomorrow after charging all night it will be 10. I haven't had that many bars for a couple of years.

So if you thought I was powerful before, look out!  :-)


2 comments:

  1. Glad you got your chair powered up. No more stopping mid-ramp.
    Awesome. Yeah, at your rate-- I'm pretty sure you will outlast this new battery.:)

    ReplyDelete