Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Samson's Eulogy

When I was a little girl I dreamed of owning a big white house on a hill with a big white fluffy dog.  Years later when I was in college I saw a lady walking a big white fluffy dog across campus. It was exactly the kind of dog I had dreamed of.  Against my natural instincts I went up to her and asked her what kind of dog it was and told her I had always dreamed of having a dog like that. She told me it was a Great Pyrenees and from that point on I knew the breed of dog I wanted some day.

My dream came true on April 3, 2004 when we adopted Samson.  He was nine months old when we got him from the Port Angeles Humane Society.  Dad and Lisa made the two or three-hour drive from Puyallup to go get him.

They told us he was born July 4, 2003.  And every Fourth of July as we celebrated our nation's birth, we also celebrated Samson's.

I loved Samson from the minute I saw him.  And he loved me.  He would go with me to the bioswale at BSS and was very protective.  One day someone started coming towards us and he started barking and going after them and they turned and went the other direction.  :-)

Samson was much like me -- very independent, strong-willed and had a mind of his own.  We would often go down to the "dog tree" at the top of the hill on our driveway.  Early on he would lay there in the grass overlooking the valley with me.  If he thought I stayed too long he would get up and start walking back to the house.  When I called him back he would stop and look back at me and then keep going.  :-)

Later on when Abinadi was here he would still follow me down to the tree, sniff around a little bit and head back to the house.  At that point in his life he couldn't hear so I didn't call him back but he would still stop turn his head back and look at me.  And then continue on his way.  He would do that two or three times until he got to the house.  Then he would stand at attention overlooking the valley watching over me.  He did that two days before he died.  We went to the dog tree and he went back to the house turning back and looking and then watching over me on his usual perch.

He was the best guard dog.  He always wanted outside to guard the place.  And at night when we slept, he positioned himself between our rooms in the hallway to watch over all of us.  In the mornings when he was let out he would make his rounds walking around the house several times and checking everything out.  He even taught Abinadi, a bloodhound, to be a guard dog.  :-)

Despite his fierce guard dog persona, he was also the most gentle giant and very good with kids.  Babies and toddlers could pet him, tug on his fur, even pat his eyes and he would just blink and take it all. But if he thought you were a monster or a threat of any kind -- make no mistake he would go after you.  Samson was not one to back down.  He was a fighter -- if need be.  Much like me.  :-)

He would fight for what he thought was his.  If he found food, what he considered his treasure, you would not want to try to take it from him.  One of the more memorable examples is the lemon pie incident at BSS.  There was also a hoagie incident at BSS, I believe, and the fried chicken incident with the contractors building our house.  But if you gave him food he was very gentle and would take it so easy.

One time when we were in my room Dad was looking out the window and asked me if I could see Samson.  I said all I could see was a white tail.  From then on he was affectionately called, "Whitetail".

Whenever we came home Samson was always overlooking the valley watching for us as we drove up the driveway.

Another funny incident is shortly after we moved into our new house, we were leaving in the van to go somewhere and Samson chased us all the way down to the county road -- about a half-mile -- and when we stopped he jumped into the front seat-- onto Lisa's lap I believe.:-)  Apparently not realizing that that was now home -- he did not want to be left behind.

Samson was one-of-a-kind.  Everybody loved him -- except monsters.  :-) Even after we left BSS, everybody that came in would inquire, "Where's Samson?"

Samson was the prettiest dog I've ever seen.  He was also humanlike in many ways.  He sounded like a human when he walked.  When he came into my room I would never know if it was him or someone else because the way he walked sounded the same as a human.  His eyes were humanlike.  He would always communicate with his eyes.  We always knew what he wanted just by looking in his eyes.

Even at the end when his body was failing his eyes were still communicating.  He was fighting with all his will.  But, he had lived a long wonderful life -- 96 in human years according to a dog age calculator I did a month or two ago -- and Heavenly Father was calling him home.

Samson had outlived his life expectancy by several years and we were blessed to have him for such a long time in our home.  I cherish every day he was with us.  I know he will be there to greet me on the other side.  I'm looking forward to that day.

Samson was a good, good, good boy.  Samson was the best dog in the history of mankind.

God be with you till we meet again my beloved friend!  I love you Samson!

Samson in his prime -- May 2007
  




Samson teaching Abinadi how to be a guard dog.

Overlooking the valley -- where he spent most of his life.

Samson yesterday -- still smiling despite his failing body
Me with my beloved friend and companion of nearly 13 years.

Samson was my favorite dog we've ever had.

Fittingly, Samson's final resting place is by the dog tree where we spent many wonderful days together.

Rest in peace my dear, beloved white tailed friend, until we meet again.

3 comments:

  1. Yes, it was my lap he jumped on in the front seat. :)
    That is a nice eulogy, Tam.
    Samson was one of a kind. Such a great dog.
    He did live a very good, and happy life.
    I know Coco will be happy to see him. They were friends.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have many wonderful memories of Samson. I hope you gets to steal lemon pies from lunchboxes on the daily in his new digs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very well said Tammy. I love Samson with all my heart, and he was the best dog we ever had, and that is saying a lot. I miss him so very much, and I can still feel him nudging my hand in your van when I would reach back where he was riding telling him to give me a kiss. He was a very affectionate dog despite his fierceness. There will never be another dog that could come close to filling his shoes, so to speak. May the Lord welcome him into his kingdom, and loving arms. Rest well our dear sweet Samson. It is with tear filled eyes that I close this comment.
    Love,
    Dad (yes that is what he knew me as)

    ReplyDelete