Saturday, May 21, 2016

Vanity Is Ugly

They say beauty is in the eye of the beholder.  Which is true to some degree.  Everybody has their own ideas as to what is beautiful.  But there are also cultural beauty norms.  For instance, several hundred years ago in European culture, having porcelain white skin and being pleasantly plump was the standard of beauty.  In our present culture being thin and tan is considered beautiful.  Many people will go to any length to be thinner and look at all the crazy things people do to either become tan or have the appearance of being tan.

I personally think being tan looks bad.  It looks unhealthy.  It makes you look older and wrinkly.  It makes your skin feel and look like leather.  Not pretty in my eyes.  I personally love the sun and love being out in the sunshine but I consider the resultant tan on my skin as a deleterious consequence of my choice to spend time in the sun. Not to mention the cancer risk.

If you think the cancer risk from suntanning is bad.  Studies show that tanning beds are worse.  And don't even get me started on spray tans.  Not only do the chemicals in spray tans cause cancer but why would anybody want an orange face and white ears?  Spray tans look terrible.  And that's just not my personal opinion.

People do many crazy, strange things in the name of vanity.  And most of the time, they end up looking worse.  Spray tanning is one example.  Plastic surgery is another.  How many celebrities actually look better after plastic surgery?  They usually look much worse.  I could cite examples but I don't want to embarrass anybody.

My point in this that not only does vanity makes you look uglier, but it is often times detrimental to your health.

That's my two cents.

No comments:

Post a Comment