Saturday, July 22, 2017

Waxing Nostalgic

I guess I've been waxing nostalgic as of late.  I've been thinking about how times have changed -- and not for the best.  Seems that our civilization has become increasingly uncivilized.  Here are a few things I've been pondering.

Whatever happened to the days when women actually wore heels and nylons to church?  It seems like more and more women are dressing as if they are going to the beach rather than to church.  Flip-flops at church?  I'm sure my grandma is rolling over in her grave.  I would be too if I were dead.  25 years ago when I was on my mission it was a mission rule to wear nylons.  And I served in Florida.  Yes, it was hot!  But I never minded dressing up every day because I was representing my Savior, Jesus Christ.  Lately, I don't think I've seen anyone younger than me wearing nylons and heels to church. But I sure see a lot of flip-flops and bare legs.

Along the same lines, whatever happened to people actually having to dress up to go to work?  I just read about a woman who wants to wear dresses to work but doesn't feel like she'll fit in because everyone comes dressed in shorts and T-shirts.  There really is something about the way you dress and your attitude.  When you're dressed up, you look more dignified and tend to act accordingly.

Whatever happened to the days when women would wear their Sunday best with matching shoes and purse to go grocery shopping?  Or to go out anywhere in public.  They would make sure their hair was in place and that they looked presentable. People used to take pride in their appearance.  And would actually try to look nice when they went out in public.  Nowadays, a lot of people don't care what they look like.  You're lucky if they cover up and wear shoes.

Whatever happened to the days when people would actually get up in the morning and get dressed and do their hair and makeup even if they weren't going anywhere?  Nowadays it seems like more and more people stay in their pajamas or sweats all day.  I never could do that.  I always felt weird if I didn't get up and get ready for the day.

Whatever happened to the days when people would greet the cashier and exchange pleasantries?  Most people nowadays don't have the common courtesy to end a phone call or look up from their stupid cheating machine to even give eye contact to the cashier, let alone exchanged pleasantries.

Along the same lines again, whatever happened to the days when people actually interacted in person?  Believe or not, back in the day people would actually greet each other passing on sidewalks or in hallways. Yes, even strangers.  People actually looked around and noticed their surroundings.  Nowadays, everybody hangs their heads looking down at their stupid cheating machines.  They are oblivious to the real people around them and their surroundings.  Nowadays it's common to have two people in the same room communicating through text messages instead of conversing in person.

Whatever happened to the days when you could receive a wedding invitation without gifts being mentioned?  Now you open up a wedding invitation and 12 "gift registry cards" fall out.  Since when did thoughtfully choosing a gift for the newlyweds go out of vogue?  Since when did weddings become a way to extort money and gifts from your guests and loved ones?  Requesting gifts and money, setting up go fund me accounts for honeymoons.  It's abhorrent.

Whatever happened to simple weddings where the main focus was on the bride and groom?  Where people would bring a simple thoughtful gift.  And a small piece of cake and maybe a nut cup or after dinner mints would be served.  Now it's all about the dress, the venue, the food, the flowers, etc. Full course meals are served in elaborate settings.  And guests are expected to bring expensive gifts or money chosen by the couple to cover the costs of hosting them. It's out of hand.

Whatever happened to hosting parties just for the pleasure of someone's company?  Without expecting gifts or money in return.

Whatever happened to people sending handwritten thank you notes?  Some people still do, but it seems like more and more people don't write thank you notes.  And if they do decide to give thanks to someone it's likely to be digitally through e-mail or social media.

Whatever happened to people making promises and actually keeping them?

Whatever happened to chivalry?  Chivalry seems to be dying as society becomes more "politically correct".  It's a shame that men are being taught by society to treat women as "equals".  I guess we can thank the liberal feminists for this injustice.  I hate to break it to them but men and women are different.  And society has rules -- or at least we did -- as to how women and men should behave.  I always thanked men who would hold doors open for me when I entered a store or somewhere in public.  Now, they have to worry about getting yelled at by some feminist instead of being thanked like they should.

Whatever happened to basic manners?  You don't hear please and thank you as often as you should.  Even in restaurants you don't see people using table manners as often as you should.  People are rude to their servers.  Road rage is rampant.  People don't show respect to others like they should.  Especially to their elders. Everyone seems to be too self absorbed to be courteous and civil.

Anyway, those are a few of the things I've been thinking about lately.  It brings to mind this scripture:
11 O my beloved son, how can a people like this, that are without civilization—
12 (And only a few years have passed away, and they were a civil and a delightsome people) -- Moroni 9:11-12
I feel the same way about our civilization as Mormon did when addressing his son, Moroni, 1600+ years ago. Only a few decades ago people were much more civil to each other.  I have seen the decline of our civilization in my short lifetime.

The decline of civilization -- the loss of our basic etiquette and manners; the lack of respect for societal rules and for others; the casualization of dress; the basic increase in self entitlement -- sadly, appears to be in a downward spiral.

Unfortunately, I don't think it will get better anytime soon.  I guess I will have to continue waxing nostalgic and remember the good old days.

That's my two cents.

No comments:

Post a Comment