Saturday, April 27, 2019

Careful versus Casual

Here is another great quote from my favorite General Conference talk:
"There is a careful way and a casual way to do everything, including living the gospel. As we consider our commitment to the Savior, are we careful or casual? Because of our mortal nature, don’t we sometimes rationalize our behavior, at times referring to our actions as being in the gray, or mixing good with something that’s not so good? Anytime we say, “however,” “except,” or “but” when it applies to following the counsel of our prophet leaders or living the gospel carefully, we are in fact saying, “That counsel does not apply to me.” We can rationalize all we want, but the fact is, there is not a right way to do the wrong thing!" (Emphasis added)
-- Becky Craven, Second Counselor in the Young Women General Presidency, "Careful versus Casual", April 2019 General Conference
I love this talk because so many people are becoming more and more casual in everything, including living the Gospel.  So many people think they are the exception to the rule.   So many people rationalize their way into being casual about living the Gospel instead of being careful. This is what gets people in trouble. This is why so many of the elect are dropping like flies.

I may be a bit odd but I actually enjoy formality.  I don't like casualness.  I have always preferred dressing up to dressing down.  Perhaps my disdain for casualness has helped me in living the Gospel.  At least I hope so.

I added emphasis to the last line of Sister Craven's quote because it summarizes her talk.  And it's a great reminder that wrong can never be right.  "We can rationalize all we want, but the fact is, there is not a right way to do the wrong thing!"

That's my two cents.

1 comment: