Saturday, April 6, 2019

Cousins Donny and Marie

As you all know I have been on a Donny and Marie kick for the past few months.  On Donny's website there is a section about family history.  Donny mentioned that when he does shows he looks out at the audience and wonders how many people he is related to.

So that got me curious as to how I am related to the Osmonds.  There is a website where you can sign into your family search account and it will bring up a bunch of famous or at least well-known people or people from history like royalty to whom you are related.  And It will tell you what your relation is to them.  So I clicked on the link in my favorites bar and did a search for Donny and Marie Osmond.  Much to my surprise and dismay, they were not listed.

So I took the bull by the horns and found an e-mail address for the website administrator.  I asked them if they would include Donny and Marie under the entertainers category.  So, because they are still alive, I gave them their parents, George and Olive Osmond's, PID numbers on family search so they could link them.

A week or two later I got a response thanking me for the suggestion and saying that they would work on it.  Then about a week after that I got another response saying it was done.  This was yesterday.  I was so excited I hurried and opened the website and logged in.  Clicked on entertainers and voilà, after scrolling through to the bottom of the list, there they were. 

So I am very distantly related to Donny and Marie and the Osmond Brothers.  They are my 12th cousins once removed.  Ha ha.  I'm actually more closely related to Elvis and Merle Haggard than I am to the Osmonds. Obviously no DNA shared at that distance but it's still cool to have the connection.

Anyway it's a super fun website if you have a family search account.  And if you don't you can get one for free.  Here is a link to the website if you want to check it out. Or you can go to relativefinder.org if the link doesn't work.

Perhaps in a future blog I will list some of the famous people I'm related to and how closely I'm related.  I may have done this before I don't remember.  But I don't have time right now because priesthood session is about to start and I don't want to miss it.

General conference was awesome as usual today.  Can't wait for the rest tonight and tomorrow.

So when you go to relativefinder.org and discover your relation to Donny and Marie, you can thank me later.  :-)

That's my two cents. 

No comments:

Post a Comment