Tuesday, July 2, 2019

Goodly Parents

 The Book of Mormon starts out with these words:

"I, Nephi, having been born of goodly parents, therefore I was taught somewhat in all the learning of my father; and having seen many afflictions in the course of my days, nevertheless, having been highly favored of the Lord in all my days; yea, having had a great knowledge of the goodness and the mysteries of God..." -- 1 Nephi 1:1

I, like the wise prophet, Nephi, can also say with surety that I, too, have been born of goodly parents. I, also like Nephi, was taught in all the learning of my father (parents) who gave me a great knowledge of the goodness of the mysteries of God.  For this I will always be eternally grateful.

It goes without saying that our family has seen many afflictions in the course of our days.  But then again, that's why we're here.  To progress through learning and growth by overcoming adversity. Sometimes we may not overcome adversity, sometimes we just endure to the end.  But, if we endure it well, the blessings we receive will be unfathomable.


My parents have certainly endured much affliction and adversity in their lives. But they have endured it well.

They have faced much heart ache but also many good times.  They have gone beyond measure in helping me throughout my whole life but especially during the last 16+ years when they have dedicated their lives to serving me and caring for me. Their hearts have been broken by the bad choices of some of their posterity.  But through it all their love is unfeigned and unwavering.

There is no doubt in my mind that when the Lord calls them home he will say unto them, "Well done, thou good and faithful servant: thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will make thee ruler over many things: enter thou into the joy of thy lord." -- Matthew 25:21


My Patriarchal Blessing tells me that I "was sent to a home of goodly parents who love me.  Add honor and dignity to their names."

I certainly hope that I have fulfilled that admonition from the Lord to me personally to add honor and dignity to my good parents names.  I know that I am mortal and sometimes fail but I have certainly tried my best to add honor and dignity to my parents' names.

I love you, Mom and Dad!  Thank you for being goodly parents.

That's my two cents.

No comments:

Post a Comment