Tuesday, June 25, 2019

Healing Power of Christ

This is the Daily Gospel Thought on Instagram today.  I thought it was apropos to post to my blog.
"The healing power of the Lord Jesus Christ—whether it removes our burdens or strengthens us to endure and live with them like the Apostle Paul—is available for every affliction in mortality." -- President Dallin H. Oaks
This brings to mind something somebody said to me the other day.  They mentioned that they didn't know why bad things happen to good people.  This seems to be a question that many people have.  Well, lucky for you, I know the answer.  It's actually quite simple.  It is so that we may learn, grow and progress towards becoming more like our Heavenly Father.

I will elaborate a bit.  We all chose to come to earth for two main purposes.  1 -- to gain a body.  2 -- to be tested through trials, afflictions, and hardships.  We had progressed as far as we could in our pre-mortal life, therefore we needed to enter mortality to receive a body and be tested through trials so that we could continue progressing.

How we treat our bodies in terms of respecting this wonderful God-given gift and learning to overcome and control the appetites and desires of the flesh, in part determines our eternal destiny.  Also, the way we respond to our trials, hardships, and afflictions in mortality determines how much we grow in terms of gaining divine qualities of character.  Developing divine qualities through enduring trials well is how we progress towards becoming more like our Heavenly Father and Savior.
"And if men come unto me I will show unto them their weakness. I give unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them." -- Ether 12:27
Trials, burdens, hardships, afflictions, weakness are all part of our mortal journey.   Through the healing power of  the Lord Jesus Christ and His Atonement our burdens and afflictions may be removed or we may be strengthened to endure and live with our trials and hardships.

One thing is certain though, if we want to progress and build divine qualities and character, we must endure our afflictions and burdens well until the end. This is why good people must face difficulties, trials, afflictions, or in other words "bad things".  It is one of the main reasons why we are here on Earth in this mortal journey.

It's comforting to know that as we endure every trial and affliction, whether small or big, and as difficult and overwhelming as some may be, we can rely on the healing power of our Savior, Jesus Christ, to strengthen and comfort us.

That's my two cents.

No comments:

Post a Comment