Friday, October 2, 2020

RIP Mac Davis

 Another great singer-songwriter has graduated from mortality.  Mac Davis, born January 21, 1942, died September 30, 2020.

I used to listen to Mac Davis a lot in my 20s. "Baby, Baby Don't Get Hooked on Me" is one you might remember.  Catchy little tune. Of course my favorite was, "It's Hard to Be Humble".  I used to sing that song to my companions on my mission all the time.  What can I say?  Humility is a hard characteristic to acquire. Mac and I both know the struggle.  :-)

"You know it's hard to be humble, when you're perfect in every way, I can't wait to look in the mirror, 'cause I get better looking each day.  To know me is to love me, I must be a heck of a man, you know it's hard to be humble, but I'm doing the best that I can..."

I didn't learn until a little bit later in my life that Mac Davis also wrote several songs that Elvis cut.  The most famous probably being "In the Ghetto".  He also wrote, "Memories", "Don't Cry Daddy", and "A Little Less Conversation". 

Mac Davis singing, "In The Ghetto" 1972

RIP Mac Davis.

That's my two cents.

1 comment:

  1. Great song writer. Some of my favorite songs. RIP.

    ReplyDelete