Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Interesting Corn Fact

I was doing research online yesterday about how to grow corn. I came across some interesting information I didn't know, so I thought I would share. Every strand of silk on a corn ear corresponds with one kernel of corn. Every strand of silk must be pollinated for one kernel of corn to develop. Have you ever had corn with missing kernels? This is because the silk that corresponded with the kernel of corn did not get pollinated. Anyway I thought this was really interesting so I thought I would share.

3 comments:

  1. Hey Tam, that is really cool!! I will never look at the "hair of the corn" the same again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is pretty interesting. It always seems like so much corn silk on every ear of corn. I love corn on the cob.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We ate corn last night, and as I the kids and I were peeling back the husks and silk strings, I thought of this. Really cool tidbit to know!

    ReplyDelete