Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Last Words of Wisdom... Perhaps :-)

If everything goes as scheduled, I am in the middle of surgery right now.  I was contemplating what I might say if this were my last blog post.  The following is what popped into my head.

Live your life without regret,
and if you don't remedy it.

Obviously I wasn't an English major.  My skills as a poet leave a lot to be desired.  :-) I'm not even sure that's grammatically correct. Perhaps I should elaborate a little bit on what I meant.

Live each day as though it was your final exam in your test of mortality.  Don't do things you will regret someday.  When you do mess up, fix it right away.  Don't procrastinate.  Repent and make things right with the Lord.

Each day here on earth is a gift from God -- treat it as such.  Don't squander your time and energies doing stupid, useless, irrelevant, destructive or harmful things. Life's too short to be stupid.

Surround yourself with good people and choose your friends wisely.  Who you choose to associate with says a lot about your character and who you are.  If you don't like who you are or have become, associate with those who will be able to help you to become who you want to be.

Lastly, I want to share with you a secret.  The secret to a happy and successful life.  Isn't that what everybody wants?  Well I know how to obtain it!

It's really quite simple -- read your scriptures and pray EVERYDAY.  That's it.  If you do those two things you will nourish your spirit every day.  You will then be more receptive to the Holy Ghost and his promptings.  When you carry the Spirit with you, you will want to follow the Lord and keep His commandments.You will be more inclined to choose the right.  That is the key to happiness and success.

It requires daily effort.  Just as our bodies need nourishment daily, so do our spirits.  Spend as much time nourishing your spirit as you do your body. I promise you if you do you will find much joy and happiness in life. And be immeasurably blessed. That's not to say you won't have trials, for that's the purpose of mortality, but you will find happiness in those trials. Or perhaps I should say despite those trials.

People look at me and think my life is full of pain and suffering and limitations.  And yes, to some extent that's true.  Overwhelmingly though, my life is full of joy, happiness, and freedom.  I am extremely blessed.  Even with my physical limitations, which are temporary, by living the Gospel of Jesus Christ and knowing the plan of salvation, my life is more free and joyful than most people's.

Living Gospel standards and keeping God's commandments brings freedom and joy not captivity and restriction as the adversary would have you believe.

As you continue on your journey through mortality, don't just hang in there -- Endure it well! Get your priorities straight, don't be casual or weak in your obedience and faith. That's not going to cut it in these last days.  Be strong, be valiant, be faithful. Continually work on coming unto Christ and being perfected in Him. And as Elder Pearson said, "Don't just hang in there -- Endure it well!"

My hope and prayer is for exaltation in the kingdom of God for all of my loved ones.

Live your life without regret,
and if you don't remedy it.

That's my two cents.

1 comment:

  1. Great Words of Wisdom Tam.
    Thanks for posting us something to read while you were in surgery.

    ReplyDelete