Saturday, August 20, 2016

RIP Charity Moore

I have been wanting to do a post on the Rockin' Rainbows for a couple of years now but didn't have the pictures.  Apparently they are quite elusive.  Lisa found this one this morning.  I know there is also one of us doing the splits.  It is awesome. I will do the Rockin' Rainbows post a little later.

Unfortunately, our childhood friend and youngest member of the Rockin' Rainbows died on Sunday.  Charity Moore (Hardman) was in a fatal motorcycle accident on August 14.  She is on the far left in the picture.

The Rockin' Rainbows
1986
Charity, Lisa, Tammy, Juliet 
I have many fond memories of Charity. I will list just a few.
  • Charity was Juliet's age, actually four months younger, but because she was tall, she always looked older.  Perhaps that is one of the reasons why she always wanted to be older than she was.  And tried to act older than she was.  In the above picture Charity is only 12 years old.
  • Charity spent a lot of time at our house in North Orem (852).  She lived a street away.  Being the same age, she and Juliet were the closest but my sisters and I were all good friends with her. Sadly, we moved out of the neighborhood in 1986 and drifted apart.
  • I don't remember if this is how the Rockin' Rainbows got started but I remember Charity telling us about a new song she really liked called "Mickey" by a singer named "Toni Dazzle".  For those of you not familiar with the 80s, her real name is Toni Basil.  :-) 
  • I'm not sure whose idea this was but we started a club in our neighborhood called "The Harley Hoggers" which was a members only club.  Of course Charity was one of the fledgling members. We ruled the neighborhood!  :-)
  • When we lived at 852 the UTA bus service just started.  I remember riding the bus with my sisters and Charity to the mall.  That was a big deal.  :-)
  • We also used to ride our bikes all over the city.  Kmart, Scera pool, Buoy? Foods, and of course Maverick and Mister G's gas and goodies.
  • Roller skating in our basement and cul-de-sac and around the neighborhood.  Lisa's got a great story about roller skating.  :-)
  • Riding in the back of Dad's '50 Chevy pickup truck.  And yellow metal trailer. And let's not forget the green machine!  :-)
  • Tigaro Juniero (Tiger's puppies) and Licorice (A dog we had for a short time). 
  • After we moved in the summer of 1986, Charity spent a lot of time with us.  I remember going to Salem Pond with orange and yellow floatation mats we nicknamed "banana" and "tanana". I think Charity probably named tanana. 
  • Juliet and Charity loved their "punk clips".
  • Going around the neighborhood selling homemade suckers, Rockin' Rainbows performance tickets, and walkathon pledges, etc..  Of course Charity was the outgoing one so she was delegated the spokesman usually.
  • And of course my favorite memory, doing a Rockin' Rainbows performance for Juliet's and Charity's fourth grade class. More on that in my upcoming Rockin' Rainbows blog post.
Those are some of my memories of Charity Moore.  I still remember her birthday.  My nephew, Elijah, was born on her birthday.  And I can almost remember her phone number.  Perhaps Juliet does.  :-)

RIP Charity!  Thanks for the memories.

3 comments:

  1. Perhaps Lisa does, 224-3381. :)

    Those Rockin' Rainbows leotards were awesome. My kids got a chuckle out of the picture and name of our dance group. I told them, last night, that rainbows were all the rage in the 80's. Rainbow clothes everywhere. Not to mention, a 14 year old, named Tammy, custom made each one--complete with the first letter of our name in satin, on the cloud, at the end of each rainbow! Pretty sweet.

    The memories made me smile and even laugh outloud. Charity was always the spokesperson. She wanted to be, and we were perfectly happy with that.

    I said on my comments at the mortuary page, I will never see a Coca-Cola sign, hear Michael Jackson's "Beat It", or Boy George/Culture Club's "Karma Chameleon" and not think of Charity. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Correction: Tammy made the Rockin' Rainbows leotards when she was only 12-13 years old.

    Another great memory with Charity is the Nair experience, when she and Juliet thought it was hair mousse and they put some in Charity's hair. I quickly told her it was hair remover and she ran into the bathroom and rinsed it out. Luckily, her hair was saved. It was pretty funny though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The good old days!! I love Charity! I've been thinking about her a lot and still in shock! Gone too soon! RIP charity! In fact, there is a maverick gas station in couer d'alene and I saw it and immediately thought of me and charity getting a big gulp!

    ReplyDelete