Saturday, December 10, 2016

Christmas Trees

I have always been a fan of artificial Christmas trees.  Even as a kid I preferred them to real (dead) trees.  Let me tell you why.

First of all, artificial trees are always perfect.  Perfectly shaped, perfect color, and sometimes even pre-lit and partly decorated.

Artificial trees don't drop their needles, dry out, and are not a fire hazard. I mean seriously, isn't it a little insane to put a dead tree in your house for several weeks?

Now don't get me wrong, I'm all for using God's creations that were put on this earth for our use.  I have no problem with cutting trees down to use for lumber or even firewood.  But I don't agree with cutting a perfectly good healthy tree down just to put in your house and stare at for two or three weeks and then throw away in the landfill.  To me that is wasting God's creation. It's akin to killing an animal just for the sport.  And not utilizing it for food or raiment.  Trees are living things with spirits just like animals.
 "5 And every plant of the field before it was in the earth, and every herb of the field before it grew. For I, the Lord God, created all things, of which I have spoken, spiritually, before they were naturally upon the face of the earth...." 
"8 And I, the Lord God, planted a garden eastward in Eden, and there I put the man whom I had formed.  
"9 And out of the ground made I, the Lord God, to grow every tree, naturally, that is pleasant to the sight of man; and man could behold it. And it became also a living soul. For it was spiritual in the day that I created it;..." -- Moses 3: 5, 8-9
Artificial trees are reusable ever year.  Not only do they always look good, but I can't see paying money every Christmas to kill a tree when you already have a perfectly beautiful artificial tree sitting in a box in your storage room that will look better and not cost anything.

And last but certainly not least, how ironic is it that the very symbol of everlasting life -- the Christmas tree -- is something that was killed so you can put it in your house to represent everlasting life? Seems a bit hypocritical to me.

I have always been and always will be an artificial Christmas tree lover and a despiser of killing perfectly good evergreen trees for no good reason.

That's my two cents.

No comments:

Post a Comment